Ping Exchange guru's.

Discussion in 'Software' started by The_Geek, Dec 7, 2005.

1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Ok, here's the situation.

We have a customer who has their own Exchange Server. Now, we also host the email for this customers domain, and they are only using thier Exchange server to pop our mail server to retrieve email. (why they have it set up this way and not use the Exchange server to host their own mail I don't know).

Anyway, anytime they try to pop our mail server to retrieve email they get the following error messages:

4.4.7 smtp pointer error/ 4.3.2 destination error

Google searches reveal a configuration problem with their Exchange server.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this particular kind of setup and/or error messages?

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

*BUMP!*

Come on guy's. I know at least one of you knows something about exchange.

8)

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

are they actually using exchange then? or SBS? because as i recall exchange doesnt have a pop retrieval system, you need a third party app to perform that
    SBS however does have this feature

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

We use a another server that retrieves pop email using a third party app and forwards this to our exchange server

All our external mail goes through this before hitting exchange as it also has surf control on it to filter the external mail

so i dont think it is exchange that is causing the problem maybe a third party app or as Phoenix said might SBS that is getting used

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Unless I'm mistaken, as I've only tinkered briefly with Exchange, but having talked with many customers and end users who retrieve mail using Exchange, it has a pop connector that can connect to any external pop box. This is generally used to harvest mail from a catchall mailbox and farm it out to the various destination address (but this isn't necessarily the case)

I now humbly await the response from Phoenix telling me how hopelessly wrong I am here :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I use the built in POP3 connector in my SBS box (I don't have a static IP) It's a piece of cake to set up and works like a charm so I haven't seen any error messages apart from when my ISP mail servers are being backed up in the early hours of the morning.

Have you looked at the configuration of their POP3 connector? Has it ever worked?

You have most likely seen these descriptions of what your errors mean but I will post them anyway...

http://www.gaparks.com/ndr.htm

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

what is odd is that you say that the customer gets the 4.4.7 and 4.3.2 error messages when they try to retrieve mail. but the error messages are ndr notifications for outbound mail. are they also using your server for outgoing mail, or are they using their own server for that?

personally i have seen 4.4.7 before, in two situations.
    first the sending server (presumably your server in this case, not the customers server) is in an open relay database, and is therefore denied by the receiving server.
    second the mails are too big, and are denied by the receiving server.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Off topic: Nice to see you back, d-faktor. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Ok, it ended up being a config error on their mail server.

On an unrelated note, I have a manager that has about a 5 years worth of mail in a .pst file, but the file is password protected.

Is there a way around this?

10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

yes, but it's gonna cost you. there are many tools (just google pst + password + recovery and you'll find plenty) for that, but i have yet to find a freeware version.

11. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I take it the manager has forgotten his password

DOH !

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  12. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

What happened was he got a new laptop and the IT folks put all of his mail (about 5 years worth) in a .PST file on his new laptop and the guy who did it password protected the file and doesn't remember that the password was.

D,

Yes, I fould a few "demo" programs but none of them will unlock the file without buying the full versions.

13. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  14. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Yeah, I already downloaded the demo of that software, but like the rest of them, unless the password is 4 characters or less, it won't work.

Ah, but what's $30 to make friends with a manager. :D