PING EVERYBODY!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zimbo, Jul 14, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Right im 1 exam away from MCSA! 70-291 ,Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure.

I been studying non-stop for atleat 3 years now.. and i cant stop as i enjoy learning new stuff. I got a few ideas on my head and want to discuss them with you as im sure alot of you have done a few of what im looking at.

1.Im looking at maybe completing an elective for MCSE in the near future.
    i got a range of options here i would like to look at:
    70-282- which is SBS 2003
    70-299- Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network
    70-350 - Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004

Those are the three im really keen on... any suggestions from someone who has taken them as to if the exams are conquerable and what it would take to pass.. 2 two exams i know would involve learning many things from scratch so suggestions please?

2. I have developed a hunger to learn Exchange Server 2003
    Again there is exams for this 70-284 and 70-285 but again this is a topic im on -100 in the knowledge field BUT i have just managed to get Exchange Server 2003 Resource Kit for 15 quid instead of 32 (big saving there!) so im going to do some reading inbetween! But this isnt a newbies book and if someone could suggest me one that will start me off on exchange as i would like to learn more about this Server OS.

3. Leave the MS Side of things and explore new technology to expand my knowledge

Im also interested in learning some wireless and the new Wireless# from CWNP looks good now that the cert isnt expiring (and not comptia prices!)

Expand my linux skills and look at building open source mail servers ( :oops: )

These are all ideas right now and just looking for feed back..
    Thanks guys!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd suggest that you go for 291 (which you probably are), and then leave the MS centric things for a while.

As you are headed to uni you will probably find that they teach a wider variety of IT, and don't focus on MS, so my suggestion would be to look at other choices to expand your horizons on IT in general, and not on the MS way of doing things.

At uni you may well find that having the broader skills set is more beneficial to you than just MS.

You may also find that you have to spend the majority of the time on your Uni subjects, rather than your interests, as IT degrees tend to be rather technical!

8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

With the amount of MCPs you are gaining (very quickly!) I would try and gear them towards the MCSE cert. It will beef up your C.V and obviously many businesses use MS products so you will be more employable.

Ignore all the ‘braindumps make the cert worthless' crap, there are not enough MCSEs out there. I realise this when I have to read through some of the C.Vs when we are recruiting and there are qualifications on the C.Vs I have never heard of. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thats a good idea too... but do i have enough experience for the rest of the exams? Im left with 293,294,298 and elective after my current exam...

5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I know that feeling all too well Zimbo. I have my MCSA 2000 and working on 70-292 for MCSA 2003 upgrade.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok i study my butt off for another 1 year 1 1/5 years... i get MCSE then what? no experience i got is MCSE related... now atleast i can say i did some AD work worth my MCSA during my last job...or am i talking sh**?

7. Sparky

No reason why not, if you make home labs you can simulate some of the network topologies that you will encounter. Don’t get me wrong, its not exactly the same but it’s a start.

Also Id be prepared to give you a chance if you had the MCSE and little experience, why? If I meet a new client and they ask about what the support engineers are like I can say ‘They are MCSE certified’ which always gets a good response. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so you saying finish up MCSE? ok... im slipping into 1st year uni.. the 1st year will be *easy* because i got an HND and for other reasons i wasnt put into 2nd year so this from sept to may/june ill have a *little* extra time.. im thinking of working on my elective... have a look at the start of my 1st post... what would you personally do? knowing you dont know exchange.. SBS is a little like Server 2003 (not little)...

9. Sparky

Hmm, I would go for Exchange.

All of the skills you are picking up from the other MCPs (related to the MCSE) can be applied to SBS so you are kinda learning that at the same time.

SBS can be picked up fairly quickly if you have a working knowledge of Windows Server 2003 and Exchange. You would also need to know some of the limitations such as only supporting 75 users\devices and not supporting replications for example.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok... so lets talk exchange... we talking about 284 (im assuming this one right?) or 285?.. where to start? :biggrin

11. Sparky

Start on 284, I think if you do 285 after you will be MCSE:Messaging

Just to get back to SBS briefly, it’s a great product to start leaning on however as it very ‘wizard’ orientated it doesn’t give you much scope for leaning to configure it from the ground up.

I do loads of SBS installs. Once the firewall\router\modem is configured you just need to point SBS at it and it will do the rest. This is great as it saves time but when I moved onto bigger networks with multiple DCs and Exchange Servers I had to manually configure more than what I was used to.

I would be interested to see what the SBS exam involves but at this moment in time I feel the MCSE (and certs geared toward it) is more worthwhile. 8)

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first of all thanks so far for the info!

now... 284.. i got no idea about exchange.. lets forget the exam.. and think of a book that will give me a good grounding before i hit an exam book... Mastering Exchange Server any good?

13. Sparky

Looks like a good book, the book I currently use is Exchange Server 2003 unleashed. I`ll buy the Microsoft Press Book when I get to that cert.

Exchange Server Unleashed:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672325810/102-4387644-1022531?v=glance&n=283155

Just a few pointers on exchange server that I have to deal with on a daily basis that might help you get started with Exchange.

*Moving the Information Store: Generally this should be moved to a separate partition from the system partition which can increase performance.
    *Setting up a recipient policy: This basically allows the Exchange server to accept emails sent to certain email domains

*Set up mailbox limits and warnings
    *Set up SMTP connector (internal DNS or Smart Host? you decide!)
    *Checking mail queues for emails that may not have been received.
    *Moving mailboxes, handy if you have Exchange Servers on multiple sites

*Sharing mailboxes and delegating permissions
    *Configuring Public Folders
    *Configuring AV that will support exchange.
    *Configuring a backup solution that will support exchange.
    *Using and configuring Outlook web access.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the ideas! Now why wouldnt you do the SBS exam? i mean i think that exam could be useful? :rolleyes:

15. Sparky

I would if I had the time!

I don’t think being certified in using SBS carries as much weight as MCSA or MCDST for example as the cert isn’t as well known.

It might be worth going for if you want a break from studying towards the MCSE though if you decide to aim for that. 8)

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

No you can use that exam 70-282 towards MCSE.... its an elective...

17. Sparky

LOL, I didn’t know that, this changes everything! :biggrin

Might be worth going for then? Are you considering it over the exchange exams? 8)

18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

right now im researching... im going to start 291 end of next week.. SBS sounds like a good option because i wont be starting from scratch like Exchange.... ok its very different from Server but looking at the objectives the exam looks good.. mind you ill be studying for a long time before doing the exam...

19. Sparky

Let me know how you get on with the SBS cert, Im interested to know what its like. The reason I’m picking the Exchange exams for the MCSE is that I haven’t had enough exposure to installing networks with multiple Exchange servers so I feel I need more background knowledge before taking on that kind of project. 8)

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im not saying im doing it.. like i said all research.. :biggrin but i can see it happening.. ill sit down for a few days when i finish 291...