ping by hostname

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Danmurph, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

I set up a linux box on vmware on the network at work but for some reason I cant ping it by hostname, I can ping it by IP and also ping other hostnames/IP's from it, has anyone got any ideas?

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are you using AD based DNS? If you are it could well be down to the fact that the machine doesn't have an AD account associated with it.

Try putting a static entry into DNS or if it's only you that needs a named entry update your HOSTS file instead.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Thanks, I'll give this a go

4. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Had another go after a bit of a break and done it!
    Manually added the dns entry for the linux machine on the dns server and hey presto everything is communicating, easy peasy. Funny how things seem so hard when you over think them, take a break and it is soooo obvious! :oops:
    Right, now to assign a public IP on the machine, Nat through the firewall and give it some use!! Here we go :D
    Thanks SimonD