Piecemeal course material

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by darrenecm, Feb 28, 2006.

1. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

I know there are quite a few Skillstrain/Scheidegger students loitering about on here so maybe those of you some way into your course can answer my question. It would also be useful to get the views from those of you who are with other training providers.

I recently sent an email to my training provider asking whether I can simply have all the course material binders sent to me instead of being sent piecemneal as I finish certain parts. The basis of my request is that in the course documents from my provider there is much said about the importance of planning your study time. So I came to the conclusion that if I had ALL the course material in front of me I could better plan this time, not to mention avoiding the cumulative delays of waiting for the Post Office to deliver the course material parts. I have paid up my course fees in total so, in effect, this material does belong to me does it not?

I'm waiting on a response from the training provider on this but in the meantime, can anyone (especially those with other training providers) tell me whether this policy of sending out course material piecemeal is common? It just seems unecessary to me and the benefits of having it all to hand (better able to plan your study time and avoiding postal delays) would outweigh any percieved problems.

WIP: A+, N+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just a thought, but what would happen if you already had the study material and then discovered that the exam objectives had changed.

As you have already recieved and paid for your training materials, what would you expect your provider to do if they had updated materials that they send out to other students on the same course?

Congrats on going Green BTW! :biggrin

3. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

If I may quote you out of order...Green is good. Thought it was time to support something that is obviously worth it. Lots of good stuff in Certforums that's for sure. Wish I had more hours in the day to spend here than I in fact do [​IMG]

Surely exam objectives change very infrequently? And besides, I checked the CompTIA website and see no changes officially announced that would impact my course timetable. And wouldn't the process of switching take into account current students? Or do I detect a hint of cynicism at the possiblity that some training providers may still be selling outdated material onto its punters which isn't appropriate for the current CompTIA 2003 objectives [​IMG]

Again this would surely only occur if I was at a point when CompTIA were to imminently change it's syllabus, which it isn't...is it :eek:

Anyway, how would certification video training products and books, such as Meyer's oft-mentioned title, fare in these situations too?

WIP: A+, N+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it is common, and I understand your frustration.

The reason might be that not everyone actually completes the courses, a lot of people drop out when the going gets tough. Funny how they don't mention that in their blurb.

For example, I have a mate, he paid for his MCSE up front $11500AU. His circumstances have changed and he now finds it impossible to find study time, also he has found that it is tougher than he expected to pass the exams. So, he has moved on. Many people do this and it is a big bonus for the training providers, especially if *they* get to keep the training material.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with you in kind, Bluerinse, but the over-inflated prices of training providers aren't really reflected in the course material as a whole - they're a one-off writing, and shouldn't cost too much to print and send. The costs are in the staff they employ. However, I agree it's a bonus for them when students drop out.

I think the reason *they* give is so that the course remains structured; you study at a pace they can monitor you. This is no good for people that want to get on, but for downright newbies, it allows some control.

If you're at the ability where you study at a speed way above and beyond this, then a training provider probably wasn't for you. There are ways you can speed up processes with Skillstrain, but I highly doubt they'll send it to you all in one go: you won't be able to access the CDs without the codes anyway. But the day after you submit your TMA online, phone the teaching department. They'll either have marked it, or can do so pretty quickly - they'll give you the access codes on the phone, and you can get on with the next bit.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think they all do it. Even the Open University does it, in their case it is to pace you - if your next folder arrives and you haven't finished the last one you know you're in trouble!

In the case of training providers I imagine it is to allow them to monitor your progress and ensure that you report in at certain intervals. If you had it all, I guess there could be some confusion over which bits you had to do for each exam.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD