Pictures not opening??

Discussion in 'Software' started by armouredcrack, Oct 6, 2008.

1. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

I have alot of pictures stored on my computer. All in the My Pictures folder. seperated in their own folders wedding, Party etc (as you do) I use the windows pictures and fax viewer program to view these pictures.

However some of the pictures are not showing. "No preview available" Shows but no picture. Not all pictures are like this. This fault seems to be confined to folders. I.e all of weddings pictures will show, but all of party's won't. It doesn't seem to be on a file basis.

Don't know if that makes sense. Haven't come across anything like this before. Can anyone help?

I have also tried opening the pictures with Quicktimes picture viewer. Which didnt change anything.

My pc is running windows XP Media center edition.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

create a new older on your desktop and move the data to the folder and see if you can access the data.
    could be the actual folder that may be corrupt

3. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

Excellent will try that. Will let you know if that works. Thanks for your help.

:D

4. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

are you copying across the network as this can sometimes corrupt files, are the files stored on a cd or similar media, check these are still ok.

WIP: C++ and A+
  5. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

Creating a new folder didn't work it was just the same. I wonder if the files some how got corrupted. I had a back up of them on cd so no great loss.

I wasn't copying them over a network. They were just on my local computer in my pictures.

If anyone has got any ideas on this for future reference. Would be handy to know :D

Thanks guys

6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

Download the latest version of Irfanview, currently 4.20, and use that for all (and only) your images

http://www.irfanview.com/

It's great and is a top-class image viewing program.
    :biggrin

7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

armouredcrack,

What file format should the Party picture files be based on the digital camera that you used to take those pictures?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What are the file types in the problems folders? Are they .gif or .jpeg?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Just a thought, but have you checked the security permissions on the files/folders? Im not sure what the behaviour would be if you tried to open a photo when you didnt have permissions.

If the security on the folder didnt allow you anything more than List Files, you would be able to see the files, but not open them. Perhaps thats it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That's good point:rock

also have you instailled any image/photo editing software?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. ablacklock90

ablacklock90 New Member

it sounds like the files are corrupted. I've had this problem in the past but like you, I had them all backed up on CD so no real loss.

12. armouredcrack

armouredcrack Bit Poster

It is a mix of .jpeg and .gif so i don't think it's anything to do with that.

There is no security settings set as it is a home pc used for internet etc and i have not configured anything like that on it.

I am going to put it down to corrupt files after i check out Wassup's picture viewer.

Thanks for all your input guys :D