Picky ebay user

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jul 23, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Sold a laptop to some tool on ebay, now hes had the laptop since monday to evaluate it and basically he wont leave me feedback until hes satisfied with it, which means i cant get my money from him from paypal because you need to have feedback left. Id like a bit of help in some of the point hes come up with

The lappy has 4 gig but it is a 32 bit OS, running vista and before i sent it to him it was completly reformatted. Now he claimsd it only has 3 gig of rma, but surely because its a 32bit OS, it wont show more than that, maybe 3.5 gig tops?? So say it uses the 3 gig, then there is a spare 1 gig floating around, which is meant to be allocated to the 256mb grapgics card??? Which even says so on the laptop itself via the srtickers that are left on it

Another thing hes moaning about it the dvd tray the side comes off but clips straight back into place and still works great as it should do, ive told him that its a design feature in case the drive needs to be changed, i think im right in that?? Hes also claiming that the dvd quality is stuttery, which it wasnt when i used it, it ran perfect, only things i can think of are bad quality cds or the fact hes not updated it, the drivers etc

Anyone got any comments , or advice on this??
    Ed

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Since when do you need to wait for feedback before you get paid? Is that new? I've sold over 11 thousand things on eBay and not seen this although its been a long while since I had time for all that.

32 bit Vista will show 3GB. Tell him to go into the bios if he's not sure how much RAM its got or to purchase an x64 upgrade. Can't comment on the CD drive thing but if you've rebuilt it recently perhaps it needs divx drivers etc. I never use Windows Media Player.

TBH mate if it were me, I wouldn't take any BS. If you were open and honest in your advert, you should be paid end of. I'd email the chap, iron out any questions he has and if I wasn't paid today maybe tomorrow raise a dispute, but always try and avoid this if you can. You could find from his perspective, your advert wasn't as accurate as it should have been, either way do what you can help, all through eBay's mail so eBay can see you've tried to help.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I've seen this withheld money crap before and felt at ransom for it as well. In the end the buyer utterly forgot to leave feedback so I had to wait 30 days for papal to release the funds

Send him some links about the 3gb 32 bit os thing then tell him to sh1t or get off the pot. All the faffing he's doing. You can resell it to someone who isn't a clueless whinger

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

What does the guy want ebay is an auction you pay your money and take your chances. If you buy a car at auction and the next day your head gasket goes tuff. Tell him to get a screw driver undo the little flap on the bottom and look at how much ram is in there. Bit of super glue will stick the bezel back on and try cleaning the lens. Sounds like a idiot to me.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

another reason why ebay is rarely used by me now. if i have cr@p to sell, it goes on bumtree.

less viewings, less idiots, less hassle. oh, it's free too. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. zxspectrum

IM getting the impression hes a total plonker. With the advert i was honest as i always am, the battery lasts about 30 mins and a USB ports broken, but none of these affect performance. I told him about the ram problem, and 'hes going to see about it' as for the cds problem with cds not working correctly, he said hed not been securing the cds properly, which is why they were juttery. Now thats a stupid thing to do.

As for ebay im really getting sick of it, i feel im working for them and their supports not too great either. The paypal thing ive had it before where people have not left feedback straight away, but ive not had to wait this long as they have been happy with items they bought.

I dont want the laptop back really as ive got a funny feeling as he hasnt a clue what hes doing that he may have damaged it, i mean if he cant insert a simple cd, what else has he done.

As for bumtree, ill give that a look in, especially if its free, i cant beleive you get charged twice through ebay, once for selling and then another time for using paypal

Cheers for the heads up, ill keep you informed with what the plonker has to say next time

Ed

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry but I don't release the goods until the funds are received, end of discussion. You don't like it then don't buy it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

^ ^ this. ebay is an auction site - not bid to view. can't be bothered with it anymore. too much agro and certainly not what it was...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Send us the link to the auction...

10. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello guys.

The same has happened to me.

I was told by PayPal that this is the result of the value of the sale. In my case was only just under £200. They say it's to prevent fraud. Gofigur that....

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What he said!

Is this new? Thought it would be the case of not sending the laptop before you get the cash in the paypal account.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. zxspectrum

Hes paid for it vis paypal, so money has left his account, but is being held up by paypal because he hasnt left feedback, basically he was nice to start with then whenhe has the laptop after paypal said it was good to go, he then started being an arse and even coming back with somewhat catty comments. Hopefully ill get it on the 30th of july and then i can leave him some feedback, but it wont be favourable.

This is the actual ad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150464535617&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

Ive beem honest on it sant say fairer than that

ed

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup.

If they've got an issue, it can be sorted afterwards.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So - wait - is this new? If a buyer uses Paypal to buy an item from you, the funds are 'held' by PayPal until the seller leaves you feedback? That's absolutely, utterly insane. It's like you walking into Curry's, buying a telly, paying for it with a Visa card, but then Visa saying they'll not actually give the merchant the money for a couple of months until you ring them to tell them the telly's OK.

I haven't sold anything on eBay for about four years now - and never will again, it's a complete nightmare.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Sorry to drift off topic a bit but question for ZX Spectrum - I have the same laptop, did you have any issues trying to burn discs with it? I have googled the model (mat****a UJ-120 Blu Ray) and apparently there are quite a few issues. I didnt realise there was an issue until it was out of warranty, but tbh Acers customer care is so bad while you are in warranty im not sure if it makes much difference.
    I dont know if there is a fix out there somewhere or if I should just bite the bullet and get a new one. Not the end of the world at the mo as I have a desktop and external drives I can use for back ups etc but its a pain when you have paid for something that doesnt work.

Certifications: C&G, A+
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I find this a tad strange, I recently sold a laptop for £1275 and at not time was I asked to wait until the buyer had left me feedback for the laptop for me to get the funds. A few weeks earlier I sold an older laptop (Sony Vaio) for £200 and again the funds went straight into my account.

There is no way in hell that I am releasing goods to people without first getting the funds, no way, hell no.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  17. zxspectrum

Issues with burning, only one and that was because i used extremely cheap discs, on good quality discs no. The whole thing worked great for me, i never had any problems until selling it

As for paypal, they have the money, but wont release it to me till hes given feedback, i can see me going down there and knocking ten bells out of him. Hes really being an arsehole.

Ed

18. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Has paypal actually emailed you stating this and have you checked the actual recipient, it may be spoofed

19. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  20. zxspectrum

No but they have it on their page, it gets released by 30th july, which is next friday

Long timne to wait to be honest

Ed