Pick your brains.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Nov 12, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well im waiting for the citezens advice to get back to me but thought id gauge general opinion and advice from everyone here.

Recently i was in hospital where i was basically told my kidneys were shot, and that i need dialysis. The type im going for is called peritoneal which requires me to have more space and basically have clean accommodation. I was told that its more than likely to be done before christmas.

This puts me in an awkward spot, as my current tenancy is due to run out june 2008. now this is an unforseen circumstance in my eyes and so if by putting myself on the local housing register i may get a place rather soon due to the banding system they use.

So would that mean i have to pay any rent to the landlady, even though im not going to be there. There is something about terminations and heres the exact words from the agreement

If the tenant wishes to terminate this agreement at any time, the tenant may do so upon on giving vacant possession of the room to the landlord provided that the tenant shall give four weeks notice of such a termination or alternatively four weeks worth of rent in lieu of such notice.

So do i pay her4 weeks or just give her four weeks notice and not a bean

She may be god about the whole thing, then again she may not im just trying to get my cards ready so to speak. Im just wondering with having my medical circumstances affect my current ituation if that would void any agreement as i had no control over it what so ever.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would wait for CAB to get back to you.

But from what you are saying about four weeks notice then thats all you need if you pay your rent every 4 weeks, but if you pay weekly then I would say you'll have to pay for every week you are there.

But wait for CAB to tell you better, good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

CAB will tell you exactly this: Your tenancy agreement states that you must give four weeks notice to your Landlady before moving out. This means that if you tell her today you are moving out, your actual leaving date will be in 4 weeks time. You are contractually obliged to pay for every week up to and including your leaving date. Whilst you may choose to actually leave before that date if you wish, you will still be liable for the rent.

Be aware that if you give your 4 weeks notice two weeks into the month, then you would be liable to pay for only the additional two weeks. Ie, if you pay monthly, and you pay 500 a month, and give your notice halfway through a month, your leaving date would be 2 weeks into the next month, so you would only be liable to pay half the rent for that month, since you wouldnt be a tenant for the final two weeks. So your final rent payment would only be 250. To be honest, for that reason I try to give my notice at the same time as paying the rent. It just makes life much easier.

I will say this again, you are liable to pay rent for EVERY week you are a tenant up until your leaving date (4 weeks after giving notice, as per your contract). You dont have to be living in the property for that time, but you ARE considered a tenant there and everything that goes along with that (ie council tax/electricity/gas/etc) is YOUR responsibility.

Also, your medical condition will have absolutley zero impact on your agreement, unless such terms are part of the contract explicitly. Hell, if you were to die, your landlady could legally claim those final four weeks from your estate, if they wanted to be an absolute git.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Forgetting the living situation etc, just wanted to say im sorry to hear about your illness and I hope all goes well for you mate.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

Sorry to hear about your health situation, zxspectrum. Hopefully you can get a more permanent, and better, solution than ongoing dialysis.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well to be honest i still class myself as lucky as there are loads of people who i saw in hospital who had worse conditions than me, mines just and inconvienience really and im lucky i iant got anything that i would class as really bad.

Thanks for your support though guys, actually means a lot

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry about your hard times, Ed. Best wishes and prayers regarding your housing and other needs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

fair point. Do hope you get better soon. meant to say that in my original post. but didnt...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ed, keep us posted on how things go... know that you're in our prayers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yep me too ZX, I also think Fergal is spot on with the rent commitments. Good luck mate!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)