PHP

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shadowwebs, Nov 25, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

If we have any PHP tutors or developers here... can anyone recommend the best place for learning PHP & MySQL?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I've done a bit of PHP and MySQL dev in the past. The book I learnt on is now woefully out of date (I learnt PHP 4), but provided you know HTML and you understand the basics of relational databases, it is a doddle to pick up.

Do not bother with the Zend exams, they are pretty pointless.

This was the book I used:

Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL: Amazon.co.uk: Hugh E. Williams, David Lane: Books

3. shadowwebs

Thanks, I am just doing it as a side-hobby at the moment rather than wanting to gain any certifications from it so will see where I go from here

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. Jammo1987

Jammo1987 Nibble Poster

W3Schools is always a good place to start I find!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCTS (70-515), MCTS (70-516)
    WIP: MCTS (70-513)
  5. shadowwebs

any chance of pointing me in the right direction of where the below code is incorrect?

mysql_query("INSERT INTO members(name, phone, email, userid, password) VALUES('$mem_name', '$mem_phone', '$mem_email', '$mem_userid', '$mem_password'")
    or die("<br />Cannot insert form data" mysql_error());

all the form name's and variables I have already checked as being correct.

- - - Updated - - -

the error that I get when running this on the webhost is:

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/a4649813/public_html/testing/regmem.php on line 16"

Line 16 by the way relates to:

"or die("<br />Cannot insert form data" mysql_error());"

- - - Updated - - -

solved that one... it seemed to not like the "or die" part of the coding, once removed it started to work fine.

arghhh :)

6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. shadowwebs

Thanks for that ade, yeah i am aware of loopholes within the code also for sql injection where someone could pull all the information out... once i have the basic code working i am going to run through and add in the security elements to tighten things down.

8. neha34

neha34 New Member

For online learning w3schools is the best website. This website cleared your basic concept but for more knowledge you have to join a institute. I'm taking training in PHP & MySQL from 9itech institute Chandigarh.

** This post has been reported for being spammy, in this instance I don't agree with it but please be careful on future content. - SimonD**

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013