Photos of Katrina

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kat731, Oct 11, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Heres some pics of Katrina before she hit New Orleans... The awesome power of mother nature............ Great pics, but spare a thought for the people who suffrered...........
    Kat

Attached Files:

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Some more...Kat

Attached Files:

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

WOAH !!!! Are those real ? Man, that is awesome. Nature's power indeed.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The photos truly inspire awe. They're beautiful and terrible. It's painful to think of what Katrina left behind.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Nice pics Kat. Truly showing Mother Nature's power :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

she can be a powerful b***h and judging by those pictures which are nice...she certainly caused major distruction...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

All i can say is that I shudder to think of how scared the people who lived through it were. It's times and photos like these that show you how really insignificantly fragile mankind is.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nature is truly awesome and beautiful. The sheer power of something like this is beyond my comprehension. My thoughts are still with those that suffered there and are suffering from the effects of mother nature all around the world.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

WIP: A+
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No worries Neall, looks like you've done the right thing, actually:

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I thought they looked more like a tornado than a hurricane but I am no meteorological expert!

Jak, don't you think we should remove the pics from our site as they are copyrighted and the owners are somewhat peeved?

Pete

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think the copyright violation is taking the photo's passing them off as someone else's work, and saying they are something that they aren't. I don't see that happening here. Any mistake made in attribution has been corrected.

To tell the truth I wondered about the pictures too. A storm some 400 miles in diameter can't be depicted in a single photograph that show clear delineations between the edges of the cloud and clear blue sky, and show the center of storm. It's simply impossible. The eye of the hurricane would be so far over the horizon that it couldn't be seen from the edge of the storm.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I thought you could infringe copyright laws just by posting/using someone else's pictures without the owners explicit permission.

Pete

14. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I suppose it could be literally interpreted like, but from what I read the problem was that the pictures were being used to create a false impression, and that's what really upset the photographer. As long as it is shown who really gets the credit for the pictures I don't think it's a problem.

If what you are thinking is true it would be impossible to quote a copyrighted book even though you give your source, and that's not true. (Now, places such as Transcender put more in their "copyright" then I would think is strictly legal, but I'm no lawyer. I can see why they would try to enforce something like that though because they would never be able to sell any practice exams because people would just quote all their questions 1 at a time.) However, most copyright law doesn't go that far. As long as you quote something, say where it came from, and who wrote it, it's fair use as long as you're just giving an excerpt to make a point in a discussion or show something about the book.

It's done daily by many, many people. Any debate style forum is littered with quotes from copyrighted books and it isn't considered to be in violation of any copyright laws. It's considered to be "fair use".

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  15. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

as long as you dont sell them or claim them as your work or change them in any way, and if the owner doesnt specifically prohibit posting them, youre fine. believe me, i work in the graphic arts sector.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I thought about this after the post last night but as discussed above, didn't feel we had to remove them as we are only showing what is already on the Net. However, I felt it better that we point out that we support the owners' request that these are not represented as Katrina.