Phone stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Mar 20, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

My phone providers been on the phone telling me im dues for an upgrade and rather than just loking at the carrot dangling in front of me, ive done well and so far ive gone from 35 to 20 a month with the same deal but with no phone etc.

Though this is a new 12 month contract, they only charge me 20 a month for 9 months of it and then it goes backnup to 35 for the last three months. They were offering me phones however, a blackberry storm, blackberry curve and a nokia e71, im basically thinking of an iphone even thoough ill be paying through the nose for one etc.

Of all the four phones stated there, which would you lot choose and why, and if you own one of te phones, how good are they for what you need them for???

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

None of them :p BB Bold all the way

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Here's an awesome mobile review site that I frequently use - http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/

Decent reviews and fair assessments, plus it contains all of the phones you're considering.

If it was down to personal preference I'd probably sod them all off and wait for the Nokia N97 :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Neither of them. If you need/want a brand new phone right now consider the Nokia 5800 or if you can wait a bit longer then as Qs suggested wait for Nokia N97.

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Having had the iphone for a month I would say get that its brilliant
    Unelss you want long battery life and a good camera, then don't go for it.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Nokia. Symbian rocks.

I have an incredible array of apps on my trusty n95 from ebook readers to torrent software. I also have a piece or free nokia software that makes my phone do everything my pricey gps sports watch does. I even have a citrix client though it only proved useful once. I have one colleague who has a N82 purely because it has a few FTP clients available.

Mostly I use it for navigation. Looking to upgrade and will be sticking with a s60 nokia model

The iphone is lovely but nokia wins ultimately

I have a bold for work and lovely though it is (gps is solid and its a real looker) it lacks the goodness that comes with symbian

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Haha, completely agree. I love my iPhone, but it sure has some drawbacks... I want my own ring tone, and video recording as well! :twisted:

If I could choose again? Probably the N97 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  8. Gingerdave

The iphone is really good as long as you acknowledge what it is and isn't. I like that it doesnt try and please everyone, and some features which they are adding in like message forwarding and MMS I havn't missed.

As for Symbian, I lothe it! I recently had the mis fortune of having an N95 is my main phone for a few months as well as having ti as my work phone and i hate it, a clunkly layout pared with adaqute hand sets that just do their job and thats it. There is no flare with them and seemingly no pride its a case of look what else we can cram into it!!!!! an 98 megapixal camera? Sure! still wont give you a consitant OS across models and a platform that developers we dont pay to program for will use though.

Nokia used to be great, now? not so much.

9. Qs

Each to their own.

The N95 isn't a patch on the iPhone or the N97 so there's no real comparison.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

agreed. I used to be a Nokia man, but recently switched over to the BB Bold. I love it!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have the Daddy of the Nokia N Series, the N91 which spawned the likes of the N95, N96 and N97, since I changed careers cannot bring myself to go onto a contract so I use O2 simplicity which gives 300 texts and 150 mins for £9.79 per month.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. zxspectrum

13. zxspectrum

OK ive sorted out my phone, i opted for the Nokia 5800, yes the touchscreen one and to be honest im looking forward to getting it. Ive managed to get my bill down to 2750 while adding the sky sports application so tt i can watch sky on it. which is why im here, i want to know if anyone has the sky sports package on their mobile and what the quality is like.

According to the woman i can watch sky news, sky sports 1 2 and three full matches, unless i got that wrong, but if it is true then im sure the nokia has a tv out feature so i couldmaybe hook it up to the telly, or am i just dreaming here

ZX

14. Qs

Nice choice. I was thinking of picking one of those up myself, but I think I'm going to wait until the N97 comes out... all dependant upon finances I suppose.

The 5800 does come with TV-out. See the link here for a step by step guide.

As for the specific application I have no idea, go google it :p

Qs

15. zxspectrum

Well i was going to wait for the N97, but now ive sen that thr is an n63 which is nokias attempt to have a go at blackberry, thinking to b honst it would be bst to wait for the N97, wish it was her now i hate waiting for stuff, im crap around crimbo

ZX

16. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

I dont think the battery life on the iPhone is the bad, actually pretty decent. Depends on the apps you download, and settings you have set I suppose. I'm happy with it, especially when jailbroken it opens up the functionality. I'm using mine as a vnc viewer for my desktop pc which is pretty sweet.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  17. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We recently trialled 3 phones: the iPhone, Nokia E71 & the BB Curve.

The E71 was a complete failure, we couldn't get it to connect to the wireless network, let alone our exchange server.

The BB Curve was very good, connected to practically everything.

Our choice was the iPhone, connected to everything plus the other advantage was the larger screen for remote server admin (on the go). Plus the iPhone is the only phone, we were told, that didn't have a fair use policy attached to it when it comes to internet/data :)

Would have wanted to trial the N97, however since it's not out yet and that we were warned off it's predecessors the N95 & the N96, didn't feel it was a phone to consider...

Have to say the Nokia 5800 look very nice :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  18. Gingerdave

Its not that it has a bad battery, considering what I do with it I think its excellent, however most business users wont think that they are:

Checking their mail every 10 minutes
    Using it as an ipod
    surffing the web
    using it as a GPS
    talking on it
    sending an text
    sending an ema.... wait I didn't charge it :blink

Now as I said it does a great job, and I do love my iPhone but if we introduced them in my company people would sulk about the batery life was the point I was making.

wagnerk, good to hear you guys made the decision, have you integrated them with the exchange yet? How did it go?

19. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

wait for the Sony Ericsson Idou!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  20. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We integrated the test units (BB Curve and the iPhone) to our Exchange, but we had to send them back after the 3 week trial (it got extended by a week). We're just finialising the contracts now, so hopefully by tomorrow the contracts will be sorted and then 1 1/2 weeks after that a nice shiny toy, I mean tool, for work :)

The BB Curve connected straight away, however for the iPhone we had to install Exchange Active Sync before it would connect.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security