Phone scam ?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Angus, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

I got this today, I had seen it before and thought it was another chain letter, but the other day I was in a mates house when the phone rang and gave her a recorded message similar to what this says...No harm in posting it anyway, if it is a chain delete it.

Please be aware of the following telephone scam that is currently occurring:Would all members please inform their staff of the following telephone scam.

BT confirm that they are aware of the details and are investigating, The scam relates to home and/or work phones (including mobiles). The scenario is:- Your phone rings and you receive a recorded message;

"Congratulations. We are calling to advise you that you have won an all expenses paid trip to an exotic destination. Please press 9 now to hearfurther details." If you press 9, you'll be connected to a premium line that bills in the region of £20 per minute. If you press 9 and connect, even if you disconnect immediately, the other end will stay connected for a minimum of 5 minutes - at a cost to you of £100 - the message lasts for 11 minutes.

The final part of the call asks you to key in your postcode and house number (which has other serious considerations) and then, after a wait of a further two minutes, responds with the message; "Sorry, you are not one of the lucky winners." and disconnects, adding a further £260 to your bill!

Unfortunately the calls are originating from outside the U.K. and as such BT and other providers are relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to hang up before the message prompts you to press 9.

Moderator Note: Removed Unnecessary line breaks

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  2. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Whaddya know ? Just had a call with a recorded message with some woman claiming that I have won a trip to Disney Land ! She sounded South African.

She did ask me to press 9 so I hung up.

I guess its true
    Angus

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'll watch out for this one. I've sent an email out with this info to some of my friends and family.

Thanks Angus.
    :D
    SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Thanks for the heads up Angus. As I am in charge of the telephone network it was very useful to be able to inform everyone of this

Cheers m8 :D

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice one Angus,

Will let friends and family know ASAP :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Find them :att
    Deduce that they've broken the law :deal
    Then punish them :hang
    Problem solved :lilangel

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

:behead

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. AJ

Well I have just had a reminder that the above scam is still going on and people are still falling for it. However here it is again. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm repeating a post but I think it's worth reminding people.

Plus the mobile phone scam at the bottom.

Below is a message that is currently doing the rounds. Whilst this is a variation on a theme that has been around for some time, it doesn't hurt to remind you all occassionaly of such scams.

Any complaints should be directed to OFCOM (the telecommunication regulator which can be found on the internet at
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/

Telephone Fraud

We have been advised of a telephone fraud currently in operation (this applies to home and/or work telephones - land lines and mobiles):

If you do receive one of these calls, upon answering the telephone, you will hear a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all expenses trip to an exotic location. You will then be asked to press 9 to hear further details. If you press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that costs approximately £20 per minute. Even if you disconnect immediately, it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes, costing around £100. The final part of the call involves you being asked to key your postcode and house number (which has other serious consequences). After a further 2 minutes you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners. The total bill will be £260. Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other telephone companies are left relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to HANG UP before the message prompts you to press 9; even safer is to HANG UP on any unsolicited 'free offer' call. This appears to be a variation on a theme, warnings have been sent previously regarding calls made by individuals claiming to be engineers conducting a test on the line and asking for 9, 0# and text messages similar to the routine described above. DO NOT DIAL 9 (OR 9,0# OR 0,9#) FOR ANYONE!

BT has been contacted and confirmed the details as being true.

There is another scam operating on Mobile Phones

A Missed Call comes up. The number is 0709 020 3840. The last four numbers may vary but certainly the first four numbers will remain the same. If you call this number back, you will be charged £50 per minute. People have complained about their phone bills, once they have realised the cost of the call but apparently this is completely legal. So beware, do not call back numbers beginning with 0709.

You have been warned :x

9. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  10. AJ

Fair play Luton thanks for the heads up on the Hoax :thumbleft

11. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Now this is something I fail to understand how it can be legal. There is no item in the world you would buy without knowing the cost first, by law you should be told the price. I have to say I think if this type of thing happened to me I would let the company take me to court over it, there is no way I would pay for something I do not know the cost upfront.

I can not believe in this day and age they can not find the people who set up these scams and track them down.

Also why are the phone companies not made more accountable for these type of things. I bet if the responsibility was made to be there cost rather tham the consumer the problems would soon disappear.