phone returns

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Nov 17, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Sold a nokia N8 on ebay a few weeks back and the blokes just contacted me to say thats its crasehd and wont switch back on, he also let me know that he hasnt dropped it, which leads me to believe that he has.

Now he wants me to ring vodafone and try and get this sorted, but im wondering whats gone on with the phone really, as because he specified he hadnt dropped it, im thinking he has and he is trying it on. The advert on ebay clearly stated no returns are accepted. But because im decent (ish) ill get onto vodafone and see what they say

Anyone had similar issues and is there stuff i need to look out for ?? Just trying to make sure im not stitched up like a kipper here. I mean the phoe could of been dropped, and thats why its not working, but if he then sends it to me, and i open it and see this, he can then say i dropped it, you see where im coming from?? Im just thinking that he may not like the phone anymore and thinks as its nearer christmas, he couls do with the monay back??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its not a good situation to be in because as you said your a decent guy and try to sort things out for the buyer, which is exactly what I did a few years back when I had a similar experience.

I sold a guy an ipod that was working perfectly fine; he even went as far as leaving me positive comments and saying how good it was. 2 weeks later it broke and "he didnt drop it, it just wont turn on anymore". He demanded his money back and said I'd sold it knowing it was faulty, which of course wasnt the case at all. I tried to see if there was anything I could do regarding the warranty as it was only just over a year old, but had no luck.

The guy got increasingly rude and offensive to the stage where we ended up going to ebay to resolve the issue. They held the money in my account for weeks until they eventually decided with me and told the guy the advert clearly stated no returns and he also had left positive feedback proving it must of been fine on delivery.

Long story short - a bad experience which put me off ebay for good.

If your advert cleared stated no returns, then I not sure if the guy has a leg to stand on. Did he leave any positive feedback saying all was ok before claiming its now broke? That could help your case if it does end up going to an ebay conflict.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Did you not learn your lesson from Last time?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ebay's great - except when it's murder...

I've had problems selling phones before. Why are they always Polish?
    The buyers, that it, not the phones.

I've just sold one and the guy is complaining that it only has one camera.

That's right, it does. My fault how, exactly?

He's not happy, but it's fine. Which is odd - either be happy or not happy. If there's a problem I'd rather sort it out. I'm guessing he'll just go quiet and leave me poor rep...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. zxspectrum

Well hes left me positive feedback and was quite happy with the phone, he even mailed me to tell me he was happy with the price he paid, as he got it for £290, and nokia n8S were going for £350 -£400.

As for learning my lesson from the last one fergal, ive done everything i can, i mean the phones brand new and all the protective films were left on and it was boxed perfectly, i really dont know what more i couild of done. Ive just looked over the Ad and it clearly states that no returns are accepted

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150512738166&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
    thats the link to the phone

I dont like the idea of ebay taking money out of your account when its taken ages to clear, and for when they have charged youj for it, plus paypals chunk as well. Im in the clear wqith this ad so ill see what his attitude towards me is like.

Ed

6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I reckon its more like he's bricked it trying to unlock the phone rather than dropped it. And if he has done that then you (or him) wouldnt get any luck with Vodafone anyway.

I'd say your in the clear as you've clearly stated no returns on the auction and that it was turned on once to check it was working. Theres nothing wrong with your description, he's probably just trying it on to get his money back.

Once some one has an item, they cant come back to you a few weeks later and say it doesnt work, especially after telling you it did when they first got it and leaving you positive feed back etc. It really does sound like he's trying it on. You gave no guarntee with the item, and as the old adage goes, buyer beware. Its tough on him, an dit makes you feel bad, but then thats life, your in the clear so dont worry, be happy.:p

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yeah, but after the hassle of last time, I would have thought you would stay well clear of eBay.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I've only ever used ebay twice and both times it was the most horrendous experience ever, full of cheap wannabes looking for everything for nothing.

You want my advice? use gumtree. I've sold about 40 things on there, they usually sell within days, simple deal of cash on collect, never had a problem at all. Ebay is full of chancers.

I had a guy literally paying 3 grand for something, and arguing over £50 because of a scratch. In the end I sent him packing and recieved a barrage of phonecalls, ranging from "ok ill take it" to "actually no i won't" to "i'm a decent guy" all that ****. In the end I just said swivel i'll go elsewhere. Stuck it on Gumtree, next day someone came around and bought it cash in hand. Easy days.

GET ON GUMTREE INSTEAD, ignore all the spam emails, you can tell the genuine ones, and it's never taken me more than 4 days to sell anything on there, never had problems and in fact, some have even come back to me via email asking if I have anything else. and it's free. Stick to cash on collect and all is well.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. zxspectrum

You know Fergal, your right, i should of stayed well clear, but for soem reason i manage to tell myself that this time it will be ok, obviously i was wrong, anyway from here in im using gumtree.

Just got off ebay and recieved this message from the bloke who bought the phone

hi,

done no updates as none are available. i've not phoned vodafone as my contract doesnt show that i have an n8. Nokia got back to me today with guidelines on what to do. i followed the steps and the phone turned back on. Its recently turned itself back off. I can't get the phone repaired/checked at nokia as again its not in my name (no proof of purchase etc) and as i'm sure you'll understand its not convenient for me to be restarting the phone everyday.

From the discussions on the nokia website it seems quite a few people are having problems with it, and if they do get it repaired they are sending it straight back again as the problem has not been solved.

Any chance of a refund? i can send the phone back to you, you can tell vodafone about the problem, get a new one, and then sell the replacement on.

Thanks James

Now hes seen that there are probelms with the phone thats why hes after his money back, but my ad clearly states that there are no refunds, ill tell him to send me the phone back with the condition he knows hes not getting a refund and that it will be sent off to voda fone for them to sort, cant think of anything else??

Ed

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Ed, as long as your happy that you sold it to him in working order then it's his fault and by law it's a private sale and he has no comeback. I'm sure he can get it sorted out directly as all you did is to sell the phone on so it should still be under warranty from Nokia regardless of who has it. I would tell him it worked fine as per his feedback and to sort it out himself.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup. Just ignore the cheese monkey.
    Private sales like Ebay are a risk for both parties and both parties need to be realistic.

If I wanted a mobile phone that was brand new, undamaged, unused and covered by a warranty, I'd go to a mobile phone shop and buy one.
    If I wanted one at a fraction of the original cost, I'd take my chances on Ebay.

Can't have both.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. zxspectrum

Well i phoned up vodafone and after a bit of messing about getting put through to departments, they have a greed to swap a phone next wednesday, so this blokes sending me his phone and thats how well sort it. They also said if im not happy with this phone (or hes not happy) then i can have a totally different handset?

Ed

13. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Check the serial number just incase the one he sends back to you is actually a different phone.

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT