Phone Interview Today

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ThatLondonFella, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ThatLondonFella

ThatLondonFella Bit Poster

Hey all,

I posted on here about 3 weeks ago that I had 2 interviews. Unfortunately, I don't think I got those jobs as I never had a response back despite contacting them. However, I applied for an Entry-Level 1st Line Support role in Croydon and have an interview today over the phone. The reason I applied to this position is that I haven't got much IT experience but I have got a 2:1 degree in Computing and have over 3 years of customer service experience. I'm very nervous as this is a position I really want to get and would be a perfect platform for me to progress in a really good, well-established company that are going from strength to strength. I'm just curious though, this job is pinned as "entry-level" and to me that means that you'll enter with little to no-experience and receive on-going training, no? The reason for asking is that in my previous interviews I think they chose me just to fill in the interview slots so I was basically out of contention before arriving for the interviews. I've done thorough research on this company and written down how I meet the criteria so I am comfortable on that front just a little worried/excited as this would be my first "real" foray into the world of IT Support.:D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    Certifications: BSc
    WIP: A+ and Network+
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

You will often find that these sorts of roles are filled by a mix of technical and non technical people. You will often have a number of customer service based people who have been taught to do the tech side, but the more Tech interested people will tend to be the ones who pick up more information and they will usually progress to 2nd and 3rd line and essentially become support for the less techy people, if that makes sense. Certainly that's how it has been in my experience.

The places I have been with these sorts of jobs etc have all had onlien access to things such as books 24x7, and the 'training' is essentially down to you to do as and when you can, not all places are this way, but again, in my experience this is how it has been. As you already obviously have good knowledge etc though, then you will probably be doing the base stuff for 6 months and then pending places being available you should be able to start pushing for a bit more to come your way and to get more involved etc.

It's difficult to know until you really get in there, but as I say to many who are applying for these first sorts of roles, don't neglect your customer service skills during the interview. Make sure that you give a good account of both your technical skills and your inter personal skills etc. You will be dealing with people constantly and so they will want to see someone who is good with people, as well as tech savvy etc.

Good luck though! Hope it goes well for you! :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. ThatLondonFella

I thought that went quite well, shorter than I expected and was with 2 people, which kind of threw me off a little. But I managed to get back on track. But they interviewers seems like very genuine people and dotDigital seems like a pretty cool place to work for.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, turned out it was a pretty good. Invited for an Interview Assessment on Friday! OVER. THE. MOON!

4. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

Congrats and good luck. Keep us updated.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), Network+, MCSA:2003, MCTS:Win7,640,642
    WIP: 70-410
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Well done fella, pleased to hear it! More of the same on friday and fingers crossed! :)

6. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Congrats!
    Remember. They want to give you the job. That's why they have invited you to an interview. Don't give them any reason not to employ you.
    Build Rapport with them. People want to employ people they get on with more so than someone with all the skills but who is socially inept.
    Be honest (no bullsh*t)
    Show enthusiasm (I love working late to learn..)
    Know the company and what they do.

Good luck

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  7. ThatLondonFella

I'm spending today doing a lot of research and finding out all there is to know about the company, the people that work there and their products. A lot to take in though! It'll be worth it though when I get the job. The only thing I am worried about is that I am up against other candidates who probably have better qualifications than me and also have dreaded group activities during the day, which I am not that fond of. I'm confident relatively confident that my customer service experience and IT knowledge will get me far, I hope. Will update on Saturday as to how it all went.

Fingers crossed that I get my 1st Line Support job!

TLF

8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Good luck bro

Qualifications aren't everything. And other than that, there could be the other candidates sitting there thinking exactly the same thing you are. You'll smoke it.

Always useful to drop into the conversation an external customer they deal with, or a big project they do, as that's the way you can best show that you have done some research.

They seem to be an energetic bunch, looking at the website (and the video of the Christmas party), so try to get across that you are on the same wavelength.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  9. ThatLondonFella

Thanks a lot dude! Research done. I am interested in their international expansion and the recent acquisition of investors. Shows me that they are growing and who doesn't like being apart of a growing organisation, hey?

It does indeed seem like a genuinely fun place to work and launch a career in 1st Line Support and that's the main motivation behind applying there. I've got a good vibe about this interview! So excited!

P.S. Thanks for the goodluck wishes everybody!

10. ThatLondonFella

Well, it went rather well! I was surprisingly confident, was the first to spark up conversation with the other candidates and staff there. Had a group discussion and was equally very confident, was able to justify my answers and the panel of staff seemed genuinely interested and pleased with my judgement ability. Following this activity, we were set-up on PC's to familiarize ourselves with their products and then have an interview. I had my interview with a HR member and one of the Directors. Was nerve wrecking at first but I eased myself into it. I felt it went reasonably well but took my time to answer some questions towards the end. The director asked me a question that I never had come across before. He asked me what my favorite swear word was. Was quite funny, we had a laugh. I was able to salvage my interview with my knowledge on the company. During my research I found that the company had acquired a new Director not so long ago, and found her vision for the company's future to be awesome. I think the Director was impressed with the extent of my knowledge regarding the company. I hope, as he scribbled something at the very top of my interview forms. I even managed to catch up with him after the interview stage as he was heading for lunch to personally thank him for his time. He thanked me for mine, said it was his pleasure and wished me a good week-end. Fingers crossed! It's all in the hands of the man above.

:biggrin

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  11. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sounds like an interesting interview! Good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Sounds like you did everything right.
    It's out of your hands now - Best of luck.
    G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  14. ThatLondonFella

Guys...I got the JOB!

I'm so stunned atm...I could barely believe it!

Thanks to everyone on these boards, you guys are a bunch of geniuses!

:D

15. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Nice one. Get on the beer!

16. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Congrats man!!! Enjoy it! :)