Personal Profile

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by westernkings, Oct 18, 2008.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm really having problems with my Personal Statement / Profile on my CV. I never have been one of these people to be able to easily go "Yeaa im the dogs bollocks". And no matter what I write, it sounds like im naff or really bland.

Any help ? :(

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Why don't you post what you've got currently ?

Be easier for us to see and help.

Mine says :

PROFILE:

A highly talented IT Management Professional/Technician with a wealth of technical expertise gained through working in both IT and Financial Services. Seeking a new position that will prove to be both a professional and personal challenge.

Possesses extensive experience of providing IT solutions and support for a variety of different clients in different sectors such as engineering, building, retail and food and recommending suitable strategy.

Experience is further enhanced by exceptional communication skills at both technical and non-technical levels and a dynamic self-starter approach.

Ok so it's all cobblers really but it's the sort of thing they seem to like

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. westernkings

See, I look at that and think "that's the ****" but if i was to have that on mine I would think after reading it and looking back at it that it wasn't me or any potential employer would look at it and dismiss it.

That's what I have so far, and it seems crap.

That's probably something I have developed being a graphics designer as well, no matter how good your work is, you always look back at a piece of design and go "It could be better" or scrunch the paper up and start again. lol

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I know the feeling dude, I have the same predicament everytime I read my CV

WIP: A+
  5. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I think the trick is to think about what what you feel your best skills/attributes are and work them into the paragraph. If you can back up this short profile of yourself then you can feel confident handing it to potential employers.

Saying that I feel exactly the same about mine, it is hard to big yourself up...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  6. westernkings

BUMPED !!

Because I have another question . . .

In Short, I was kind of put in charge of the website of one of our customers, the old one had been around for at least 10 years, was extremely hard to update without causing more problems, was ugly, not standards compliable and was just a mess.

Well they gave me the task of redesigning (yes redesigning and recoding a full business website is only 8 hours of work time) This wasn't a case of editing the code of the original one as it was written in XML and ASP and was just a complete mess so it required an extreme amount of work in an extremely short amount of time.

Safe to say, I got it done, it works.

But touching the website of a fairly big company after only being employed for 3 months or so is a fairly big thing, given that it had not been touched in nearly 10 years.

So I am quite proud I got it done and sorted so i want to mention it in my CV but how do I word that ?

How would I put that into my CV ?

7. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I don't know how others would agree but on my CV when listing my most recent jobs I have also included a few of my major achievements.

I.E...

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  8. westernkings

Thanks !!! Anyone else ???

Also, I've attached the first page of a reviewed CV, if anyone could constructively criticise it that would be great :)

I think that the address and contact details should go at the end because it then solidifies the ending of a CV ? any work experience was going to go on the second page.