personal knowledge base

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by supernova, Nov 24, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I was reading chapter one of MS press 70-271 training kit about how it may be a good idea to keep your own personal knowledge base.

I just wondered how many of you currently use this practice?

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Nope - that's what Google + MS Official Base etc etc is for :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I have always recommended (and required) all my engineers and support staff to carry round a "Day Book" where they note down what they do each day and especially any problems/fixes/workarounds.

If you're going to be an IT professional then CPD (Continuing Professional Development) is a must and haveing your own records goes some way to helping with this. Gets a big thumbs up from me.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. supernova

I agree but Microsoft still recommends you keep your own with your own documentation, I guess it could prove useful in speeding up the process and those hard to find solutions. Also your own solutions of course.

5. Qs

Obviously in a work environment it's different. Documenting everyday problems helps other techies fix problems in less time and with less hassle.

Personally - no, I have better things to do, and I generally find that if something goes wrong I have a recollection of what to do.

At work - yeah, it's a very good idea and I always contribute to a central 'store' of problems/resolutions... although admittedly I've never had to use it to resolve a problem. Admittedly though, that could happen.

*shrugs* Each to their own.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. supernova

Day Book nice idea.

7. supernova

I know where you are coming from

I also suppose it would help as you move from company to company.

Must admit i only have ever used centralised company bases

but i would only do it selectively reg entries, urls to files etc

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I like the day book idea - may try that one myself.

What I try to encourage the guys to do - as well as doing myself - is that when a user ticket is resolved, to mark in a private note the actual resolution.

That way, the helpdesk in itself becomes a searchable knowledge base, with multiple resolves for many frustrating issues.

I don't know if this is common practise, or if people just use their helpdesk software to tell people things are fixed...

As for a personal knowledgebase - it is not something I've ever considered. The same as Qs - I'm not sure if I would have time to compile one, though I can see how it would be a useful thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. Qs

Make yourself a nice access little access database if you want to do this for personal knowledge!

Then twelve months down the line you can search/filter results as opposed to flicking through 300+ pages of scrap notes. :p

Qs

10. Qs

Exactly! Give that woman a gold star! I had assumed that this was common practice inside a working environment.... maybe not.

I.T support staff should always have a central base of knowledge so that it can help resolve similar future problems bettererer. (Yes, that is a word)

Qs

11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Depends on your job. My guys covered a lot of client sites, hence use of the book (which btw was my Company property, not theirs).

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. Qs

Fair enough - I now understand the reasoning behind it.

And damn right! I'd want my notepads back too once they were done with! :D:p

Qs

13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I always thought that was one of the primary purposes of bug tracking systems, change management, machine logs, trouble ticket systems ? :blink

Personally I just find day books get full of doodles from all the boring meetings....:oops:

14. supernova

Yes that is common practice. Well every where i have been

However, personal is different as it would be selective and obviously generic , obviously no client details etc

I am on about personal knowledge and development

15. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

The log of every repair is what they suggest you do in the A+ .I haven't seen it mentioned yet in the mcdst,i'm nearly finished 70-271.

This stuff is literally a gold mine of information i would have thought,if you take 300 calls every week,by the end of the year that is 15 600 repairs documented.

I keep every repair in my head,i don't even have as many as 500 repairs done yet.I should really write them all down.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  16. supernova

Thats what it recommends in the book

17. Qs

It's entirely up to you matey. If it were up to me.. I wouldn't bother. If a problem was annoying enough to become troublesome then I'd write down a separate resolution method, not document everything.

To be honest, a lot of what's said in the 70-271 chapter 1 is a bit odd anyway. You should never assume that a user knows less than you regarding their I.T related problem.

Yadda Yadda. Skip to chapter two... :p

Qs

18. Qs

Heh. Well if you were 100% going to go for it then that would be one of the easier ways to do it. :) IMO though, as stated before, don't worry about it.

Qs

19. supernova

Page 1-35 - Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP operating system (70-271 - Training Kit)

20. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Some people try to make it into a field in itself and call it 'Knowledge management'. This is one driver behind things like Sharepoint. You can create a blog or wiki and stick it all there, then you and others can benefit, its available from anywhere in the world, and it might help you network with other professionals.