Personal Development Plans

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Makaveli, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Personal Development Plans

Haven't seen a thread on this subject...

Alot of people have been talking about these at work recently and how important they are in order to progress in the company as well as get a good pay rise! I haven't got my PDP review for a year or so as ive just started this job! But in my induction course they recommend making a log of objectives achieved and future progression objectives.

Anyone care to share objectives they've used or recommend any good sites.......

2. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Personal development?

In whose opinion?

Go here to start your journey.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I usually ask the boss where he (no, I'm not being sexist...my supervisor is male) thinks I need improvement or what skill sets he would consider an asset if I acquired them. I also mention what I want to learn and see if I can engage some company resources in achieving my goals. To that end, they provided me with a Debian box so I can continue to practice Linux in my "spare time" at work. We were recently downsized and one of the people to go was the fellow who had a passion for providing in house training for those of us that wanted it. I'm sorry to see him go for a lot of reasons, that not being the least of them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. I'm sorry but I just have to chuckle at the ways today's consultants repackage centuries old tried and true methods to make them seem like new ideas. A "Personal Development Plan" as described in the opening post is simply the old tried and true method of writing down your goals--short term, medium term, and long term, and then not only keeping track of them on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. This allows a person to not only set goals but set schedules to reach them as well so you don't get sidetracked. The constant refreshing of, and putting effort toward, your goals keeps them fresh in your mind and keeps you motivated. It's human nature 101.

I think it's a great idea that works, I just find it humorous that such basic things have to be repackaged to get people's attention.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Personal what!

I'm sorry but where I work that term is a joke! Although I have managed to get them to pay for comptia exams, but that's about it.

In 2.5 years of being there I havent had a review!

My Personal Development plans are exactly that, personal. What I choose to learn and how I improve myself is up to me.

Without any direction that is all they can be.

8)

6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Had I had a personal development plan, I would have probably already attained my MCSE and CCNA.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

lol @ simongrahamuk

I see you work in a school as well, we are exactly the same!!!

I do have to admit that whilst at the moment there are no job appraisals yet, the new Bursar of the school will be bringing us in line with "Industry Standards".

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Professionally:

1. MCSA
    2. MCSE
    3. CCNP
    4. CCIE
    5. Degree(s)

Cars:

1. HondaS2000
    2. jaguar X type (convertable)
    3. Honda NSX
    4. Aston Martin (any one)

House:

1. Pay off credit cards/overdraft enough to be able to think about saving toward a mortgage deposit.

2. Irellevant until point 1 is achieved.

Spiritually:

1. Black belt in JKD (haven't trained in 2 years and pushing 33 now..)

2. Start playing my guitar again.

3. Start spending more time away from the computer........

Who are they to dictate my personal goals to me?

I'll work harder during the day and bite more chickens heads off in my free time.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  9. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I guess it depends on what kinda company you work for...

Looking through some other posts I came across a post by Pete01 containing....

• Proficiency in taking ownership of issues, seeing them through to completion and becoming the point of contact for clients/users with problems and projects.
    • Documentation and change control to clinical detail subject to government inspection.

I guess I was looking for something more like the above - with regards to achievements/objectives....

10. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I didn't mean to derail your thread, when I saw the words 'personal' and 'objectives' I must have got a bit carried away sorry about that.

My company has similar reviews where they set us objectives to meet. Are you being asked to set your own objectives for your salary review?

If that's the case I'd go for more projectwork/project management and general autonamy if they'll give you the leeway to mark out your own job description.

By all means tell them your cert plans, I haven't told my bosses I intend to get CCNP and MCSE in the next 2 years, they'll just say 'yeah whatever'. In my experience it's a lot more fulfilling to let them know you've got the cert rather than you're persuing a cert.

But that's just me and my situation- I don't want them to pay for my training because I'm not 100% happy there and am looking to leave so getting them to pay for it would be wrong and also commit me to them.

I'd love to tell my line manager that one of my objectives would be that in a years time I'll be judging his salary/promotion review hehe.

It's good that you have this opportunity to take it to them, if you've decided this is the job for you tell them your goals certwise, IMHO what will impress them more is using your technical skills to fit the business and shaping them as such. Try to avoid coming across as a pure tekky and try and aim to be a very technical business aware project manager type... That will get you noticed- IMHO

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  11. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

No, no, you didnt derail the thread. Thanks for the input! Ive only been in this job for 6 weeks, but the Personal Reviews are a big chance to show what u've done and what you want to achieve. Even though I wont be having a review for at least 6 months, I wanted to get input from others on the board.

The quote in my last post was the sort of examples I was looking for... more the wording aswell as backing them up with examples.