Permissions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mof, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

we are trying to change permissions in bulk. we have copied a drive and have noticed permisions for everyone has been greyed out the only way round it is to remove and re allocate the everyone permission but it only changes the folder not the contents inside the folder so we are having to open the folders as well and repeat the process, question is is there a way of changing everything at same time to save me days on boring job
    cheers martin (2000 server)

WIP: C++ and A+
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Right-click a top level folder in the root of the drive, select "Properties" and go to the "Security" tab. Modify it as you need, then click "Advanced" and check "Reset permissions on child objects" checkbox. Apply and OK everything and it should push the permissions from that folder onto all child objects.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Cheers nightwalker just tried it for some reason its access denied will see admin on monday

4. NightWalker

You will need full access permissions to make the changes.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

You might need to be an admin to do this, and/or as NW said, you will need to be part of the group that has full ntfs permissions and you may need to take ownership.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said, permissions may be the issue here. You may be able to take ownership of the files and then change the permissions as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've experienced the same issue in the past and I was a domain admin, the issue was, as sparky mentioned it, I had to take ownership of the folder before changing any permissions. The only way to know for sure is to verify the rights on the root folder.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Thanks everyone we had to take ownership first then follow NW instruction and this seemed to have worked.
    still folders inside folders are greyed out but the permission work. Is this becaus the root folder has taken the instuction and passed it down the folders,basically saying i set these folders permission leave alone.

9. NightWalker

If NTFS permissions tick boxes are greyed out the object is inheriting its permissions from the parent directory.

10. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Thanks for clearing that up for Me NightWalker