Permanent to Contractor CV advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BrizoH, Aug 19, 2010.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Hi all,

Unfortunately it looks like things will be going belly up at my current employer, due to lack of work they are likely to wind down in the next 2-4 months.

As a result I'm looking at all options, one of them being contracting - I'm well aware of the pros/cons and that it's not the ideal time etc but needs must

Does anyone have advice/experiencing redesigning CV's in a contractor agency friendly format?

I've been permie all my working days and I don't think my current CV is doing me any favours when applying for contracts (although I've had a decent response in the past for permanent jobs)

My current thoughts are listing key projects/achievements etc at the top of the CV rather than the usual employer by chronological order, then achivements.

Any input is much appreciated

Cheers

Brian

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Hiya mate, take a look at this

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks Bri, yep I've been all over that site recently.

Mostly my CV is as the guide suggests - I know the guide is in the First Timers section but it suggest things like listing your contracts under your LTD company as a single employer etc.

I haven't had any contracts yet so obviously that doesn't apply to me, just wondering how to tweak my CV to hopefully gain a slight advantage over what I imagine are the multitudes in the same position

I am able to start immediately (company will waive notice periods if anyone can find work elsewhere), I guess it might be worth mentioning that on the CV or cover note

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look at my post here, it has two different cv's attached (I have been a long term contractor btw).

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks Simon, very helpful - I like the layout of your current CV.

One thing I was wondering - is it worth setting up a LTD company in advance of actually having a contract?

I haven't researched that side yet so I'm not sure if there are any ongoing costs (excluding setup fee) if the company has no income.

I was thinking of registering the company, domain name etc so that I'm almost good to go if a contract comes up

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Absolutely because you need to be ready to start the contract and the agency will want your Ltd Company details so that they can raise the contract.

I would suggest going through a company that deals with that kind of thing (my account started my company, runs my payslips and returns etc). These management companies aren't cheap, however they do ensure that your returns etc are sent out on time, it's then up to you to sign and return them.

If you want PM me and I will give you the details of my guys, they can have a chat with you and you can take it from there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks Simon, PM sent