Permanent delete on free disk space?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Magicarp, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Hello,

I have heard when you delete a file it isn't permanently deleted even if you do empty the recycle bin in Windows. Rather the 0 and 1s are still there but it is just not indexed in Windows anymore. I know there are applications to permanently delete everything on a disk, could you all remind me of these for future reference?

Anyway, my actual question:

- Is it possible to permanently delete the data off of the FREE SPACE (not the entire space) of a drive?

Say you had a 250 gig drive and then you deleted 100 gigs off of it, then technically those 100 "deleted" gigs would be available to some smart guy with the right tools?

I am getting interested in security while doing my CompTIA :p

Cheers.

2. Ubergeek

Ubergeek Bit Poster

Try this:

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2K3
    WIP: VCP, MCSE 2K3 (Security)
  3. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Thanks. That eraser app is good, and I have used it, I only just realised it can do a whole free disk space wipe!

For other peoples books I found another free one -Hard Disk Scrubber : http://www.summitcn.com/hdscrub.html

What I do not get however, is why do you need so many passes for deleting data on the hard disk. To me it just seems wasteful and you could wear out the disk (27 passes for Gutmann).

Hard Disk Scrubber has an option to do a single pass with just zeroes. Surely this is the best way? The ONLY disadvantage would be if you were UBER paranoid and didn't want anyone to know (like the government?) that you had been wiping the hard drive. I don't think I'm that important, so surely this pseudorandom generation is a wasteful?

Thoughts please :)

4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I just use the one which is used by the US goverment, i think it is 7 times or something.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ultimately the data is magnetic and there is an optimum number of passes to ensure the data is unrecoverable.

In my business we always used :

http://www.blancco.com/en/products+services/

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

i wonder what kinky stuff this guy has been looking at

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)