Performance Issue....

Discussion in 'Software' started by bootmgr, Sep 14, 2008.

1. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Hello,

Just upgraded a video card from nvidia 6600 to nvidia 9500 GT and at first all worked perfectly and very fast on Vista Ultimate.I then decided to get the latest drivers update for the 9500 GT from nvidia.com and it was an UNSIGNED driver,but since i trusted Nvidia,i decided to allow the installation and guess what.... major DECREASE in performance! I rolled back the driver,tried Last Know good configuration just after restart but performance remained the same. I finally did like 3 system restores (used different restore points) and again the last driver was gone BUT still the bad performance remained.
    I performed a disk clean up ,then I set the pagefile to 0 ,defragmented my system ,then again assigned a new pagefile on my second harddisk to optimize the system. I even manually removed some keys from the registry (related to old programs that i dont use anymore). I defragmented and repaired the registry using a third party program and disabled third party services from running ,and used Msconfig to disable some startup programs.All in all i managed to speed up my system a bit ,but that is still nowhere near the performance i had before installing the unsigned nvidia driver! Damn....
    And for more info, my system seem pretty fast on some portions like when opening 'performance info and tools' and when opening some others portions,it seems slow and sluggish .... is that probably due to fragmentation?? I defragmented twice but i know that defrag built in windows does NOT defrag the registry and the Master File Table.
    Any other suggestions on how possibly restore my OS to its original FAST state i had before installing the unsigned driver? what could have gone wrong? Could that still be a registry problem even though i used a program to repair it and defragment it?
    That seems like a true challenge lol But any help would be greatly appreciated :D
    Thanx!! :)

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have to say that I have never installed a GFX driver in the past that has caused an overall system slowdown. Was it a beta driver? Normally all the drivers downloadable from Nvidia are signed drivers.

There is something you may not have considered, which is some other change that was made to your system very shortly before or near to when you installed the new drivers.

I have never come across utils that 'defrag' the registry as you put it. I have seen ones that can clean it up and get rid of dead wood etc.. but I would be surprised if this is your problem anyway. I would also be very careful with what programs you let loose on your registry.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Hey Modey thanx for the reply :)

I checked the Nvidia driver's info using device manager and it says : Not digitally signed ....so basically it is unsigned driver. I think signed drivers are mostly for XP since that is the SECOND Nvidia Vista driver from nvidia.com that is not signed (first one for 6600 and the second for the 9500 gt). Weird....and besides,i am pretty sure that problems began right AFTER the unsigned driver install.Looks that i am going to backup my files and do a clean install LOL

About the registry defrag the program is called :Free Registry Defrag v2.35 and you can download it from: http://www.download.com . Now you might say that is a freeware program and might be bundled with spywares etc... well ,that is why i use download.com, and it is because there are user reviews/comments and it is rated and most important of all ,TESTED by download.com and you'll see that it is spyware free in their test. It also does not use a lot of resources,so your computer will run smoothly.(I installed this program and havent noticed any decrease in performance).

And btw,do you have any idea about the 'HELP' command in winRE in vista? It is not available and i dont know why.How to get help ?Could it be something other than the 'HELP' word? In XP's recovery console 'HELP' was very useful.Also there is no LISTSVC ,disable/enable commands;instead,you can go directly to the registry using regedit from WinRE command prompt (the hard way).

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sorry, I have had very little use of the Vista recovery tools thus far. Maybe it's worth doing a search on MS's site.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada