Perfmon Counter Logs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ok. i have a counter set up on my pc set to monitor incorrect logins. running for 370 days. but i have no idea how to check the damn log. anyone got any ideas?

Fergal
    EDIT: i also dont think i have it set up right. i want it to show all incorrect logon attempts at this computer, can anyone tell me how to do it?
    Thanks

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You'll presumably have set up auditing for this, Fergal. You'll then check the Event Viewer in Computer Management (or set up a custom MMC).

Those are just sketchy details at the mo, m8 - the guys will give you more info soon :D

EDIT: Make sure you select "audit failed logon attempts" or whatever it is...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

auditing?

wherewould that be jak?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Like I said, Fergal, I'm more than a wee bit vague on this, as I haven't looked at it for a while, but I'm sure the A+ touches on it (could be wrong). Look and see if there's anything in the book about it.

Failing that, I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you go into control panel then administrative tools then Local Security Policy, expand local polices then click audit polices. In the right hand window double click audit account logon events and you need to make sure that the check box for failure is on.

To see the output of this open the event viewer from within the administrative tools from before and look under security.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Fergal1982

ok. bearing in mind im using xp home, i dont think the local security policy is in place, that said, the event viewer is logging successful and unsuccessful logon attempts.
    but the counter still doesnt show it - or maybe i just dont understand how to access the log to read!

Fergal

7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Cant help with XP home I'm afraid, the above is for XP pro. Sorry.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Unless I'm mistaken, Fergal, the counter doesn't show them - it just records the data, and presents it for the Event Viewer to display, as described above.

So basically, if you are seeing all successful and failed logon attempts, then thats it, aint it ?

9. Fergal1982

no im pretty sure it was already doing it before the counter. when i click on the counter i can save the settings to an html file. which views like perfmon. so thats probably it to be honest.

never mind i spose. thanks for the help guys

Fergal