perfecting my cv

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by leeroy2612, Apr 12, 2007.

1. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

hi yorl:smilescol

i need to spruce up my cv, to try and hide the fact that i have absolutely no I.T exp and hi-light all the wonderful skills i learned as a BUILDER!!:oops:, that i believe will cross over to the I.T world. jus wondering if anybody fancies helping out a complete stranger and wasting some of their valuable time and giving some advice.
    p.s dont worry im not being a lazy arse, im having a good go myself, but 100 hands are better and all that

Attached Files:

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I personally think that saying you "Have no IT qualifications" but you are "Working towards your MCSE" is a very bold statement that alot of employers will find a little hard to believe.

Working towards your A+ / Net+, with the longterm aim of gaining MCSE stauts may sound better, at least in my opinion.

Another point that I think will help your CV is to stress the point you made about 'Contacting Clients'. This can be seen as 'Customer Services' experience which will be seen as a good quality to have if your looking to get into an IT Support job as alot of it will be dealing with users and interacting with users.

IT CV's are not my strong point as I got my current IT Role through promotion/inhouse training, so im sure someone else will be able to offer better 'IT CV' advise!

:D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Neither IT nor MCSE contains periods.

I agree with nX. Plus, anyone can say they're working towards their MCSE, CCIE, or whatever... employers don't typically care what you're working towards, they care what you've done already. So get your A+ and get that entry-level IT job and start building some experience. The resume will look better and better as your career builds. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I disagree
    most recruiters and HR people understand buzzwords and experiance, nothing more

and most people in a position in IT with or without an MCSE dont really understand what it takes to get one these days (the NT one was well easy)

having MCSE on your CV somewhere and being able to provide some proof your working towards it (like having passed an exam or two) is a very good statement to have, if your relying on the buzzwords and not the experiance!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

lol.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  6. BosonMichael

In most companies, the resumes are forwarded from HR to IT... and that's where they'll be binned or accepted. That's how it's been everywhere I've applied, and everywhere I've worked. Perhaps things are different in the UK.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

No your spot on there Mike
    the point is most of the older generation IT managers really have no idea what it takes to be an MCSE these days
    which is why its a requirement for desktop support jobs over here, which is why the MCSA was invented in the first place, which is why having it on your CV somewhere with some proof is a benefit not a curse!

I agree with you ofcourse, but that doesnt stop the fact that the word MCSE holds ground on it's own, however little ground that may be, its still better than no ground at all

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree, but Lee is working towards MCSE, and is currently studying A+. So currently (Correct me if im wrong Lee) he hasnt taken any exams.

If a couple of MCSE exams had of been taken and passed, I would agree that using the term MCSE may hold some sort of authority.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Agree with you there nX
    if your going for A+ at the moment, put 'going for A+' on your CV not 'going for MCSE'

10. BosonMichael

That was part of my point. :) The other part of my point was that "going for" doesn't give you much more credibility or worth than not even having it at all... especially if your competition already has the A+ (or MCSE, or whatever). Honestly, if someone puts a resume on my desk that says "going for MCSE", my first question will be, "Why doesn't he/she have it yet?" (which is not a whole lot different than if I don't see the certification listed, in which case I ask, "Why doesn't he/she have the certification?").

Maybe it's just me.

EDIT: Passing a single exam would mean you're an MCP. Sure, you can say you're going for the MCSE, but that STILL doesn't say you're qualified at that level. As a hiring manager, I want to know what you've got *now*... not what you'll have in the future. I'm not hiring you based on future promises.

EDIT2: Additionally, if you say you're going for the MCSE and applying for entry-level jobs, I know that if you do get the MCSE, I'm probably going to have to replace you soon when you apply for bigger and better jobs. I agree that improving yourself is admirable... but it might turn off a manager hiring people for entry-level positions where all they need is a warm body to answer a phone and read from a script. Just sayin. Gotta get that start in IT somehow...

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

In my experience it is different in the UK then mate
    as people are very much interested in where your going, where your aiming, and how it falls in line with the corporate direction
    it can also save them a few bob, a few members here have gained roles for exactly that sort of direction and forsight :)

12. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

wow!.. by the time i finished reading that battle, i had to remind myself what my original post was. I think your both at a stailmate tho, they were all excellant tips, cheers guys. Ill give it another go tomorrow. I actually e-mailed the mentor at @vent tday, to ask them to book my A+ for around the 20th of may. please tell me if i start to get like a little dog biting at your feet, but ive got a million questions to ask and this is 1st forum ive found that isnt full of numpties

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Leeroy mate dont worry
    you will just find myself and Mike have a fair bit of experiance between us from different halves of the world, i dont think you will find us disagreeing for the most part, nor on the important facts :)
    at the end of the day what he says is just as true, there are plenty of people that will throw your CV in the bin as you seem to have experianced first hand, but all is not a lost cause, we have plenty of members who can attest to that right now having been in just the same situation

Either way we will both give as much support as we can and hope something comes up soon!

14. BosonMichael

Completely agree. Ryan (who I have a great deal of respect for) is spot on, but is simply approaching things from a different direction. Both of us are right... it just goes to show that you can expect different things in different situations... whether across the road or across the world. :)

15. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

correct me if i'm wrong but the opening paragraph is very negative

the start of the second line doesn't make sense

"i have been experience and skills i have are all self taught"

the negative parts are that you say YOU BELIEVE you are computer literate.

sounds like your saying others may not hold the same belief.

also saying you appreciate you wont walk into a job without qualifications is a given in my mind. as if your saying that an entry level position is below you but your willing to give it a go anyway.
    saying that you are looking for an entry level position would sound better.

16. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

im on the fence on including what your aiming for in your CV, certification wise

i mean, the employer will most likely ask you where you see yourself in 5 years, and having your MCSE will be a part of that so you would say that in the interview

personally i would put something like 'currently studying towards the A+ certification to then aiming to go on to the MCSE'

my 2 pennies

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  17. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I agree, i'd rather employ someone who had some drive and is aiming to improve themselves than someone who is happy to stay at the same level and possibly grow stale, but if all that is being looked for is a "warm body" as someone has said, that might change the scenario.......

It all depends how good the IT Manager or person hiring is and their attiutudes....

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  18. BosonMichael

To be honest, most people don't stay in an IT job for 5 years. At least, that's been what I've seen (and what I'm currently seeing in the stack of resumes in front of me). Shoot, they don't stay as long as a year in many cases! Come to think of it... neither did I in my last couple jobs. 8)

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

IT is a tough field. Its competitive and there just to many IT professionals out there. Thats why when people go and look for a job they have a hard time finding a good stable job.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  20. BosonMichael

I disagree... there are too many wannabe IT professionals out there, but not enough good, experienced IT professionals out there. That's why you see it as competitive - it's *extremely* competitive starting out because everyone is trying to get into the field.