Pentium 4 Extreme Edition

Discussion in 'A+' started by JAG32, Mar 23, 2007.

1. JAG32

JAG32 Bit Poster

Was wondering if someone could clear this up for me.I'm currently trying to remember all the various processor values and most make sense.The one that is stumping me though is the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition.

This processor was "quad pumped" with external speed ranges of 200 & 266 MHz so that you could have FSB speeds of 800 & 1066 MHz respectively.

What I can't understand though is if you had a FSB of 200 MHz quad pumped to 800 MHz how would the memory been able to handle these speeds?

A stick of DDR400 is designed to run natively on a FSB of 200MHz. So quad pumped would have been too fast unless you had the FSB set to 100MHz x 4 to have an external speed of 400 MHz. But this then means your running the DDR400 at FSB of 100 and not 200 MHz.

I hope I've explained my query clear enough (quite difficult to put into words lol) and would appreciate someone posting on how the P4 Extreme ran.

Hi guys.After a bit of calculating I've worked it out!