Pc to Laptop connection

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Cheeze, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

I'm not really up on networking so I thought I'd ask in here for some advice.

I have a nice desktop pc and a wireless card for it. I also have a laptop with a wireless card.

I tried (using a rough guide on adhoc networking) to connect them wirelessly, which sort of work but I had a fair few problems. Basically, if I remember correctly, once the laptop moved out of range of the pc or was switched off I could never reconnect the two together without completely resetting up the network. Is it possible to set up a little wireless network using my PC as the main computer (with no router) using just the 2 wireless cards so that the laptop can just hook in and out of the network trouble free. If so could someone help me acheive this? It'd be much appreciated.

If it helps the PC is running XP pro and the laptop XP home.

Certifications: An M.O.T.
    WIP: Hopefull MCAD and MCSD
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not sure why you are having this issue, Cheeze. Of course I've never set up an ad hoc wireless network before. I did a quick Google search and came up with some good resources for you. Maybe between the three of them, you'll be able to sort out how to make this work for you. An ad hoc wireless connection should be a viable option. Good luck and let us know how this works out.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

http://www.hardavenue.com/reviews/adhocguide.shtml

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1451421

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Cheers, I have used the first link before but that was my older pc, the new one I've built may be more reliable for this. I'll give it a go again I think.

4. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

No, no good. Here's my problem. I follow the guides exactly and manage to get my laptop to detect my network and connect to it. If the laptop then disconnects from the pc network because it goes out of range or turned off then the pc seems to shutdown the network. The laptop manages somehow to reconnect when started back up but the pc isn't registering it as connected and nothing actually works on the laptop, it just says it is connected.

5. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

Hi m8

I have an ad-hoc wireless network..with no problems using 3 computers.

Just a thought even though the wireless network is set up between the cards...have you ran the microsoft setup home or small office network...reason I ask is that some wireless cards come with there own set up software for the connection between the cards but not for the network setup....also because of this software it dosent let you use the microsoft set up wireless network wizard........so use the normal set up home or small office network wizard.

Hope that helps..

Pie

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST
  6. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Okay thanks, got it working now. I can hook in and out with no problems. I can use my main pc's internet connection with the laptop fine. Only thing I'm now struggling with is file sharing. I have enabled the folders I want to share for sharing and gone to network places to set up a link on the laptop to the folder I want on the main pc. When I browse to my wireless network I can only see my laptop listed and not the main pc. Any thoughts?

7. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

Try to add it manually by using the add a network place wizard in the my network places folder...if that dosent work then try restarting both computers and repeating the proccess.

Pie

8. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Just tried what you suggested with no luck at all.

I've named my network - cheeze439
    Pc is named Cheeze-rig
    Laptop is named Cheeze-Lappy

If I use the network wizard or even use explorer to open up my network places all I can see from the Laptop is Cheeze-Lappy and not Cheeze-rig

From the main pc I can't even see the cheeze439 network.

They are definitely connected as the laptop is now using my pc's broadband connection and both computers show in the notification area that they are connected to Cheeze439.

I'm stumped.

9. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

Hi again you didnt say if you have ran the set up home or small office network wizard........remember to run it on both computers.

10. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Bloody hell that was fast, do you live on here? lol

I ran the wizard on the main pc, created a setup disk. Copied the set up disk to an mmc card (laptop has no 3.5 drive) and ran the setup file on the laptop.

11. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

Is your computer workgroup name the same?...on both computers....right click my computer...computer name... then change tab if you need to change.

Also check to see if the computer your networked to appears in the view workgroup computers tab in my network places.

12. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

also make sure that file and printer sharing is ticked in your firewall exceptions tab.

13. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Okay I'm getting somewhere now, the workgroup names were different. They are now matching. In the network places both computers are showing on both computers. Next problem is this: I have allowed file and printer sharing, checked the firewall setting as you mentioned, and also set some folders for sharing but when I click on the pc (from the laptop screen) in network places, I still cannot see the shared folders, nothing seems to happen and vice versa with the pc if I click on the laptop.

Sorry to be a pain but I do appreciate all the help.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I hate My Network Places. Try clicking Start -> Run -> //ip_address where "ip_address" is the actual IP of the computer you are connecting to. You will probably be presented with a login box if you have the other device configured with a password. Once you authenticate, the shares should appear in a dialog box.

15. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Further to my last post here is the error message I am getting:

\\Cheeze-rig is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

16. Pie Eater

Pie Eater Nibble Poster

Ok m8...your not a pain...only glad were getting somewhere now..

If you can see both computers now in the view workgroup computers screen..but cannot access there shared folders then you are going to have to use the add network place wizard in my network connections folder....you just browse and find the file you wish to add as a network place....

Oh also have you restarted both computers after setting the same workgroup name...if not plz try it.

Only happy to help..

Pie

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You ran the Set up a home or small office network wizard, right?

18. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Pie Eater - I am using the add network place wizard, and I can browse to the computer in question, I cannot browse any further, to files or directorys. I have set these directorys to be shared.

Trip Wire - Yes I ran the setup wizard.

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Do you have Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled?

Attached Files:

20. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Yes both