PC rebooting itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeP, Feb 12, 2010.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hey.

One of the PC's I support reboots itself once a day (no more, no less). Strange thing is that it reboots itself out of nowhere then POST screen appears, then it reboots again and goes back into windows.
    I am on my last day in this job so I can't really investigate issue but I wanted to advise something if I can. PC is in remote site so I can't verify information I was given over the phone. It did happen 3 times during last 3 days apparently. I went to the site yesterday to do some wrapping up before I leave and there was absolutely nothing in event viewer that would indicate an error. Also after rebooting (it's a hard reboot btw.) when it comes back to windows it doesn't even say that windows recovered from an error or something similar. I've check for viruses using BitDefender online scanner, ESET online scanner and Kaspersky (not online) and still nothing.

Because of PC rebooting after POST (after the first reboot from Windows) I expect hardware to be faulty.

Any advice?

Thanks

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

My first 2 candidates for something like this would be Motherboard or PSU.

If its a cheap or old PSU it could be giving up the ghost.

If its the Mobo, some of the capacitors may have failed (visible on the cap itself with close inspection, look for bulging or leaks).

EDIT: If you've got a full hardware spec that'd help the diagnosis, make and model of components etc.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agree on the capacitor check. Could be mobo/PSU... could also be software, though, particularly since it's once a day.

You might want to disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure option if it is enabled.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

It's an old Fujitsu-Siemens desktop. My initial guess was PSU or Mobo too. I left the job as of today so if they need it done they can contract me to deploy new machine in it's place. :D

I for sure ain't gonna check for capacitors on the mobo.

Thanks

5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks

Would it still reboot again after POST if it was software?

Also if system restarts on failure doesn't it put something in the event log?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That is strange... I've never seen a computer reboot immediately after POST and then go into Windows... usually, if it's gonna do it once, it'll do it a hundred times.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Neither did I. But as I said I cannot verify the information. I was told:
    "Computer rebooted randomly and went to black screen from Windows Desktop. Like I would start it, making all that fan noise. Than that page with white text appeared, you know the one that shows when I start up the computer. Then screen went black again and fans started again with the same white text page showing. After that Windows started as normal. Oh and printer was making strange noises too."

So I assumed as stated in previous posts. This apparently happend once a day for last three days between 11:00am and 2:00pm. Event log show absolutely nothing (checked myself btw.). It just didn't happen when I was there so I could see it myself.

Not my PC anymore, strange nonetheless

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

when computers do things that are inexplicable.. suspect a virus. :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I did mate. There's a Kaspersky Installed on this PC, and also I used Bitdefender and ESET online scanners. All clean according to them.
    Oh nevermind. Thanks for the replies. I've offered myself for a day's work (payable of course) to deploy new machine in it's place if they want it.

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

ComboFix is another one worth looking at - maybe Hijack Logs also - both I've used in the past to good use.

Other than that, if "you" can re-image it and see if it continues - obviously, that helps narrows it down to software/hardware problems. If no image is available, tell them thats day 2 of your consultancy career! :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Also try trendmicro. com I have seen their in house online scanner pick things up loads of times where other av have failed.

Also get a multimeter on the psu and see if its outputting the cirrect voltages or see what the BIOS says, it could be that the PSU had a spike and is now outputting more dirty power than clean power.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

What about an overheating issue?

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Anything is possible, but why would a computer only over heat once a day during a specific time slot.. hmm maybe the sun shining through a window? :ohmy

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I did think about it too, to be honest. PC sits next to the window so I guess it would be possible.

Thanks for the replies guys, as I said I'm about to start new job on Monday so I'm not really that bothered about it.

15. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

It does sound like a capacitor not charging properly from the PSU,
    What time is tea break? if it's also between 11am-2pm then it could even be someone using an electric kettle on the same mains circuit.

Since you are leaving the job then it's true that you shouldn't be too bothered... as long as nobody thinks that it's a logic bomb :eek: