pc problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aw69, Sep 18, 2007.

1. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Hi all I have been asked to have a look at an imedia 5061 where the psu and cpu work but there is no display, no hard drive activity and I have installed a new graphics card and still the same tried two different monitors which I know work and there is no post beeps indicating any thing wrong any ideas. I will check back in the morning as I am off to bed now

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not sure but there could be an issue with the mobo and hard drive.

are there any burning smells, could be the hard drive is fried.

Does the monitor come on at all, any light visible?

Could be a short on the mobo.

How do you know the cpu is ok, if you can't see the post screen and if there are no beeps then probably the onboard speaker is knackered so this would suggest to me that the mobo is dead.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If there is no post screen, and no beeps then the processor is very likely not starting.

This could be for all sorts of reasons.

First off fit a 'postcard' and see if the processor is actualy starting.

How have you tested the CPU and processor?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If the hard drive is non-responsive, changing the video card and trying different monitors won't help. Of course, if you're not even getting to POST, the hard drive might be irrelevant.

Test your system in a minimum bootable configuration. That usually includes only the motherboard itself, the cpu, a single memory stick and a PSU. If the motherboard uses on board video, use that, otherwise use a known good video card. Remove any unneeded cards such as sound, modem, and so on. Also make sure to disconnect all your drives from both the PSU and the motherboard, and to remove everything plugged to the backplate, except for the keyboard and monitor. Keep that tiny case speaker connected (and hopefully, it still works). That should help see if it's a "no-POST" problem.

Tell us how you know there's no hard drive activity. Is it because the little LED light that flickers when there is activity in the HDD?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Sorry I have not got back sooner than this but I just heard back from the lad at work he had someone else look at it and the motherboard was knackard and it was still under warranty so he's sending it back.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I thought it sounded as if the mobo was screwed.

Thanks for letting us know

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?