PC on Ebay?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by asje1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Hi all

My friend from work has been looking at purchasing a couple of PC's, hes seen this one on Ebay. Looking at the sellers feedback he seems pretty reliable, but i just dont see how this spec adds up to the price?

I want to know what you guys think, would you purchase a PC from Ebay or someone like this? And what do you think to the PC spec anything stick out which raises a cause for consern?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-6-0GHz-...yZ179QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. redcard

redcard Bit Poster

Well, it's an auction so it depends what people are willing to pay for it. The 6.0GHz is a bit misleading though, considering its a dual core running at 3.0GHz.

It includes Windows XP, so you could possibly get one cheaper without it, if you don't need it.

Also Intel Quad Cores are available at pretty much the same price, which will make it slightly more future-proof than a dual.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That one does look dodgy especially when it says its 6GHz it may be 3GHZ with 2 cores. I have a mate who bought one of ebay (just a base unit) it was a C2D 2.6GHz with 2GB RAM and 8800GTX graphics card, 500GB Hard disk and DVD re-writer for £300 and its quite decent.

With places like ebay you just have to take a chance or not.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's also a Pentium D, which is a couple of processor versions old. It won't provide nearly the level of performance a Core 2 Duo or later processor will provide.

I dunno... prices for PCs from manufacturers like Dell are so cheap, WITH a warranty, that I wouldn't risk buying one from someone off eBay. At least with a name-brand manufacturer, you know who you're dealing with! How do I know this dude knows how to build a PC? For all I know, he might not use any thermal compound.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You'd be amazed how many times I've seen that since opening my store in town. The outfit that was here previously cut a lot of corners. No thermal goop on CPUs. Aluminum heat sinks with poor design. Cheap fans. Bargain basement mobos. No-name undersized PSUs. Memory from companies I've never heard of. Samsung(!) hard drives. Some of the dodgiest kit known to man.

Me, I don't sell new PCs at all. I make a tidy $100/unit helping people buy Dells. Dell has the warranty headaches and I still pocket a nice little bit of dosh for each unit a customer purchases by doing some value added work. It doesn't hurt that Dell builds a really good machine using quality parts these days.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  6. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

That ebay posting cracks me up! 6Ghz!!!!!!!

Now, correct me if im wrong, but just because its dual-core, that dosent mean its double the clock speed, right? Thats the combined clock speed of the entire proc!? Otherwise they would all say 6Ghz, 4Ghz.

Am I right or wrong here?

WIP: N+, A+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A 3 GHz dual-core processor is NOT the equivalent of a 6 GHz processor (as if there were such a creature)... it's as if there were two separate 3 GHz processors. It can handle two separate tasks at 3 GHz. If you give it one task to do, it'll still handle it as fast as a 3 GHz single-core processor will.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

Certifications: Nothing spoddy,all electrickery so far
    WIP: a+