PC Hangs!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kat731, Jul 3, 2007.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all, hope all are well.

Have been given my MD's home desktop to look at... HP Compaq DX2000. Just hangs at bios, no beeps. Gparted and there is a partition. XP CD says setup inspecting after press any key for CD boot and then it just hangs, same with BartPE? I assume it was working ok, so, maybe/not memory? All offers on this one welcome... My IT manager told me not to worry about it, him and the MD-pistols at dawn!!!!! So, its not a major issue for me.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Maybe the motherboard???

3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Your IT manager didn't happen to play football with it before he gave it to you? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

Id agree with the motherboard thing or memory but probably mother board try swapping the memory see if that helps.

Just a thought.

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Not sure which BIOS you use, but most of them have actually a beep sequence when something is wrong. Look here and see if you can locate the correct bios: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
    If it can boot from CD, the BIOS has seen the boot sequence, so I do not think the BIOS is to blame. I think memory.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys,

ok, i slung the HDD on a spare HP and it booted ok to "searching for IDE boot record" and hung.. Barted it ran chkdsk-ok. XP- recovery console but has admin password, i know how to get round that but no time for that now, anyways i'll just ask him for that..
    Will let you know..

Kat

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you tried removing everything that isnt essential to see if you can get it to complete the POST. If it does succesfully post, then you can add things back untill you find the culprit.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If it's booting to CD and hanging, the HD isn't the problem.

I'll also advise mobo or memory. Strip everything out of the box (cards, memory, etc.) and see if you get any beeps or boot up. Test that memory as well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!