PC dead any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Nov 28, 2006.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

God my week isn't going too well. I've bought a new Core Due 2 system and have built it myself. Now when I turn the PC on it switches on for 1 second then dies. I've tried everything and I'm stumped. I think it could be my new PSU. I've swapped the motherboard for a new one and it's still not working. I've got two 1GB Ram sticks and have tried them both and single in all the slots. I've tried with two different Hard Drives and with and without the CPU just to see if it posted. I've also tried the setup in and out of the case.

Any ideas as I don't have parts to swap out as I'm an AMD man usually so the parts don't fit. Does this sound like a PSU failure?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi slypie, do you get any screen output or beep codes at all? What evidence is there of the PC powering up for a second? Does the fan spin up etc?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Could be the PSU. Is it a new one? Are you sure its powerful enough?

If not the PSU then I'd look at the CPU.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It *could* be that the PSU isn't high enough power on one of the lines.

The PC won't post without the CPU!

One way to test is to remove all the drives, and fit an ordinary cheap low-power video card and then attempt the boot. Also try a small amount of memory.

Does it beep on boot? Or doesn't it stay up long enough for that?

Use a DVM on the important rails to make sure they are up to the correct values.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Does the PSU work in another system?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

slypie,

Questions:
    • What make and model motherboard are you using?
    • What make and model CPU are using?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

er- did i just read this?

edit: yep - double post.

8. michael78

sorry guys should of mentioned it's a new 700w Jeantech PSU. The only things it could be IMHO is the PSU or the CPU which is a Core Duo 2 E6600. I've also tried the PSU in a 20 pin motherboard mine is 24 pin so it doesn't rule out that using the extra 4 pins are faulty.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Well when one of my PC's did this it was because the CPU fan stopped working and it would turn itself off because it was going over the threshold, not saying that is the problem but it could be.

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  10. BosonMichael

Technically, it could also be the motherboard.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

He said he tried another mobo.

Have you tried disconnecting everything that's not essential, any extra cards like NICs, modems. Also, without the hard drive, optical drives - just the PSU, mobo, cpu and video?

700 Watts is ample power I am sure but there is a good chance that it is a faulty new PSU. CPU's rarely give a symptom of a comletely dead PC. However, it looks like it's one or the other, and my monies on the PSU!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. BosonMichael

Sorry - I'll try to get my money back on my LASIK surgery. ;) heh!

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yep, looks like they saw you coming and stitched you up like a kipper :p

[Note: mod action, merged duplicate threads]

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. sebstah

sebstah Nibble Poster

i go with what blue rinse said, unplug everything but the Vid card and KB. maybe also check the placing of the ram on the mobo some mobo's can get a bit picky if not in the right slots. reset the bios even.

Certifications: A+,70-270,70-290
    WIP: 70-620
  15. michael78

I think it's just been bad luck and is my PSU thats at fault. I probably shouldn't of done it but I plugged my 20 pin spare PSU into the 24 pin socket and switched it on and it worked. The strange thing is I plugged my 24 pin PSU into my old PC only using the first 20 pins and that worked. So it must be the extra 4 pins that are faulty or the 8 pin power lead that my new motherboard needs...:rolleyes:

Anyway guys cheers for all the help it's really helped me figure this out.