Pc Crashing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nanootrev, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Nanootrev

Nanootrev Bit Poster

Hi
    Got a problem that i cannot get past. Trying to fix a friends pc that has the following symptoms.

When you boot up it goes into a 'limbo' phase doing nothing for about ten minutes before there is a beep and then windows boots up.
    It makes the usual noises, the hard drive and fan are all running.

After it turns on it starts booting, shutting down and booting up again about 5 or 6 times. Then finally it stays on.

Then when you click on a program or application it shuts down and stays off for a few hours, refusing to be turned back on.

One program that always shuts it down without fail is Spybot S&D which runs on my machine fine.

I cant get past this problem.

The CPU fan is working fine.
    I've tried deveral different hard drives with fresh windows installs each time.

I built the machine in the first place about 2and a half years ago.

Help!

Any suggestions please!!!!

Certifications: None Yet
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you tried reseating the heatsink that is on the cpu? It could be that it is getting to hot and this is why the PC keeps shutting off.

Also test the PSU with a multimeter and see if you are getting the correct voltage.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Seems like it is taking forever to POST.

Take out any none essential hardware so you just have the mobo, HD,CPU etc and see if it boots up.

Can you get into the BIOS ok?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Also did you install the HD and install Windows from scratch? If so any probs when installing?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Bearing in mind the age of the machine, check the motherboard for dodgy caps.

The symptoms all point to a hardware problem.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Nanootrev

Nanootrev Bit Poster

Hi Thanks will try this and get back to you

7. Nanootrev

Nanootrev Bit Poster

Hi,

Yes it was a fresh install on to a spare hard drive and no problems with the install.

Any more ideas?

8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'd agree with harry that it seems to point ot a hardware issue. While it could be Capacitors on the mobo (and there have been a few cases of these blowing), it sounds more liek a PSU issue to me.

Has any extra hardware been added since you built it 2 years ago? has anything changed, such as Graphics card, new hard drives etc?

When i had my first Geforce 6600 card all those years ago, i experienced simliar problems, along with corrupted graphics in a windows desktop after a few minutes. Turned out teh PSu wasnt beefy enough to power all teh system hardware. Upgraded it and it was all fine from then on (unitl i upgraded the pc again!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,