PC Building Master Class

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonD, May 11, 2010.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Consider this if you would.

You want to learn how to build a PC, at the end of that class you would get to keep that PC knowing that you built it with your own hands (and verified by someone else to ensure that the machine is working correctly).
    How much would you pay for a 1 or 2 day course to do this?

The idea would be that the course would cover how to build the PC (from un-boxing to complete build), trouble shooting, OS installation and Updating. The cost of the course would include the hardware, software (OS and AV product – Nod 32) as well as food \ drinks during the day(s).

It would also cover different types of hardware (AMD\Intel Processors, Graphics cards etc) so could also be seen as an introduction to A+ type material.

The spec of the machine would obviously need to be taken into consideration but it wouldn’t be bleeding edge but it also wouldn’t be the cheapest\crappiest out there.
    Something along the lines of

C2D (E8400, 8500 etc)
    P38\P48\X48 motherboard.
    Graphics card
    4gb DDR2 ram
    500 gb Sata drive
    DVDRW
    Midi Tower Case
    Branded PSU.
    Keyboard and Mouse
    22 Inch Monitor

Thoughts?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like a good idea.

Depending how indepth it was the cost could maybe be £300 - £500.

It could also have extended days where people learn about how to get the most of their systems with introductions to overclocking, it's benefits and obviously it's pitfalls. This would extend the time of the course and the cost though.

The curriculum could go something like this:-

Introduction to hardware including A+ topics such as FSB speeds etc etc
    Introduction to software including A+ topics such as installation
    How to put it all together
    How to bench test the system
    How to install the software including creating partitions and formatting.
    Using the BIOS to monitor temperatures and confirm hardware is reconised
    The best method for installing apps and drivers such as OS,Motherboard drivers,graphics card drivers
    How to a when to Flash the BIOS including why it should not be done through Windows
    How to update system software including windows and all drivers

System building

Introduction to overclocking and it's benefits and pitfalls

Overclocking and stress testing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

All things I would cover, cost wise I was thinking more along the lines of £600 - £800, bearing in mind that they would be receiving branded rather than cheap and shoddy. It would also need to include costs for any hire of training locations.

Nice feedback tho.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'm far from an expert on hardware but how about the cost of the machine plus £100 per day for the training?

My opinion is that it is important not to charge too much, as this wouldn't be related to the passing of any certification, which could be looked upon as an investment in ones career. Why not teach the A+ Syllabus mate? 2 day build and A+ course if that is possible??? I don't know as I haven't studied for the A+.

Sorry if this advice isn't isn't very useful.....

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I think this is an excellent idea, SimonD, and the £600 - £800 sounds a reasonable price to ask to me.

Not sure if you'd need any type of insurance/public liabiluty insurance etc, in case someone accidently falls into the pc and brutally chops their head off in the CPU cooler :biggrin

NB

Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ahh well luckily enough I already have it (required as a contractor with your own limited company).

Now all I need to do is find 6 odd people who are interested and see if it's viable.

7. greenbrucelee

If it was going to use proper branded quality products the yes £600 - £800 would be very reasonable, maybe more unless the student actually supplied or contributed towards the parts.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, putting the PC together is the easy half of the battle. Doing the research of finding the best quality gear - and gear that is compatible with one another! - is the more challenging half of the battle... and is what most people don't know how to do well.

With that in mind, it might be good to do a basic "put PC components together" course, and a more advanced "research PC components, purchase, and assemble" course.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. greenbrucelee

agreed. My current build took quite a long time of reading reviews about the hardware I have and making sure I had the best stuff.

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Heh, gave me a good chuckle. :)

It should also offer saftey advice on working inside the case if it's switched on and the cooler is of the screamer variety.

This pic is the wrong way to do it :-

http://hilariousandnegative.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/nofingers.jpg

:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. greenbrucelee

lol.

I remember my first build which was a 486DX and the case had this metal bar which held the hard drive and cd drive in place, it was very sharp I actually sliced open the palm of my hand on it twice and leaked blood onto the motherboard. THe first time I did the motherboard and everything worked, the second time I did I shorted the bloody thing :D had to get stitches the second time :oops:

12. Len

Len Byte Poster

Googling:

"How to build a pc" is much cheaper.

I'd never pay someone to teach me how to build something. It seems silly when there are perfectly good guides out there on the internet.

Maybe its just me.

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hmmn, nice idea (and something our BCS YPG group is looking at tho' using old pcs).

That brings me on to one spanner in the works - suppose I've forked out for your course and then I go and fry the m/b or cpu - who's gonna cover that cost ?

If it's me and I haven't got the money I may well think the course has been a waste.

Might be better to consider doing the build with old PC bits and then it's less costly.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  14. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Simon,
    sounds good, although I can see this appealing more to people who are interested in computing and are after the skills and knowledge and these people prob have a home machine already :S Maybe you could offer both options and have some old kit just for lab use! Sounds like a particulary boring topic to teach, why not do a course for software deployment/networking/MS admin and teach entry level pros's and keeps your skills polished at the same time?

15. greenbrucelee

Why do always post stupid things?

I don't think the light bulb has come on for you Len but there are people out there that don't realise you can get anything on the internet it may also not enter your thoughts that some people may actually want someone actually there to guide them on how to build PCs plus Simon said that the class would cover A+ topics which I doubt any pc building guide on the net has.

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well considering the course would cover the build of the PC during the course any issues during that course would have to be picked up by me. so if someone fired the board whilst on the course it would be replaced.

I was actually thinking about the logistics of this on my drive home and essentially it would entail me having around 6 people on the course but me buying 10 - 12 bundles, that would leave enough spares for me to swap out 'should' something go wrong. Obviously the initial outlay is something to consider but if you have a trade account with a large supplier then buying 12 is going to knock down the price over buying 1.

Again that 'could' be something to teach but what price do you put on a 1 or 2 day weekend course teaching Software Deployment? Remember this isn't accredited and this would normally be something that would in most cases be picked up by peoples companies.

Of course I am all up for teaching people about OS and Software deployment if there is a market for it but what would 'You' pay for a class like this (I ask because you suggested it).

17. Len

Len Byte Poster

1)Because I can......

2)bahahahahahaha

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  18. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I suppose one good thing about the software side is that you could do most of it online like webinars , GotoMetting, and webex. I suppose this would also keep your cost down to a minimum.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  19. greenbrucelee

mmmmkaaaaaay.

Let's stay topic Len.

20. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Please, my thread and I don't want this one to go off topic!!!