PC boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sidimmu, Jan 1, 2011.

1. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

Well just as 2011 started my pc decided it didnt want to work anymore

as i boot up it will only poer on for 2seconds then turn off and back on in 4 seconds for 2 seconds again then abck off and repeat lol

have gone through the usual of checking and reseating, cleaning and also tested everything individually and have found this out.

i have plugged everything back in going through each piece at a time to find out what can work on boot, everything can power up fine with mobo and everything else apart from the cpu, as soon as the cpu power lead is connected is when the system goes into the same problem.

suggestions?

2. toshiba145

toshiba145 Nibble Poster

whats the model of the motherboard

also have you tried reseating your cpu?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    Certifications: A+, CCNA
    WIP: MCITP
  3. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Must be the new millennium bug! :D

No recent changes? Just happened out of the blue?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do you have a spare power supply to try?

just because lights come on and fans come doesn't mean the psu is chucking out the correct amount of power.

CPUs very rarely fail, but power supplies do (especially if they are crap or a generic make) motherboard can also fail.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

right update

cant reseat my cpu due to no thermal compound about to reattach my heatsink.
    dyes it happened out of the blue this morning with no recent changes

i dont have a spare psu supply, but do have a psu tester which has confirmed that the wires do have power, but i do think it could be overloaded and had its day so it cant power up the cpu on start up.

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-superb-460w-psu-4R41.html thats the psu
    http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-s775-intel-p35-ddr3-atx-audio-lan-dual-bios-4R8H.html thats the mobo

for cpu using an e8400 with after market cooler, never been OC'd.

6. greenbrucelee

gigabyte make great motherboards they do not make great power supplies.

what are your full specs?

7. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

well i managed to get another psu to try and its still the same problem, also spoke to a friend who had same problem cople months back and that was his mobo.

in this case looks like cpu power connector has started shorting the board out completly which is why it wont get past 2 seconds of booting.

full spec anyway is that mobo and psu up there ^^
    E8400 - stock at 3.0ghz
    xfx 9600 GT
    seagate barracude 7200.11 500 gig
    maxtor 250 gig
    soprano case which never had a problemn with
    all temps have always been under control never gets into high temp ranges.

ganna get a new mobo on order anyway on the cheap, will eventually build a new one when i finish these certs and get a new job :)

8. greenbrucelee

I am quite suprised your system has worked at all with that power supply.

Only 30A on the 12v rail you should be running a good quality 550w in my oipinion such as the corsair vx550

9. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

never had a problem till now with my system and i built it in july 08, too many people normally go overkill with their psu though and you cant deny that, look at all the silly 1000W psu's and then what systems they are being used in.

have been looking for a cheapo mobo to get me through next few months but cant see me getting anything delivered till wednesday due to holidays, lazy people go back to work!

10. greenbrucelee

yes I do know that. I also know how many people get a psu that just barley runs their system and when they start having problems it is most likely culprit. A psu undewpowering a system can cause all sorts of issues such as spiking the motherboard and damaging other components.

If you look on most gaming forums and overclocking forums (even if your not overclocking) you will find that most people will recommend a 550w psu for any modern pcie motherboard. Depending on the gpu then the advice on wattage will go up.

With the gpu you have I would be wanting a psu with a minimum of 38A on the 12volt rail. Try and borrow a good make of psu and see what happens before getting a new mobo.

11. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

already tried a different and decent brand psu with a much higher wattage with same problem.

new mobo will be here wednesday so hopefully be awesome from then

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

GBL.. the PSU that you have, a Seasonic M12, according to the spec sheet, has 18A on the 12V rails, regardless of whether you buy the 500, 600 or 700Watt version. hmmm

Oh wait, looking again.. i am wrong. the spec sheet is confusing. :oops:

the 500W is 38A.. the 600W is 48A and the 700W is 56A

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. greenbrucelee

Good luck

remember though with power supplies amperage should be consistent with wattage but with many power supplies it isn't. I have seen power supplies such as the rosewill 800w gaming edition and when you add up the amps it is no where near 800w.

Hopefully the new mobo will do the trick although I would say you are pushing your luck with a 460w psu with your system.

15. greenbrucelee

yep they seem to do one spec sheet for the m12 power supplies although you cant really go wrong with a seasonic since they are the best psu make out there along with corsair who are made by seasonic too. Apart from the low end AX models who are made by someone else.

16. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

all fixed now, as i expected was my mobo.

new one sorted and done.

ty