Paypal - advice needed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Headache, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I was about to sign up to paypal for the first time, when I stumbled on this site over here.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Basically, what I read there scared the living sh** out of me. Especially the bit about the spoofing and the phishing.

Now I'm asking myself, is this a good idea or is this a bad idea ?

I need some serious advice.

Thanx

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah I read that before I signed up with Paypal. I think it's written by someone who Paypal have revoked their account, judging by the tone.

I've been happily using Paypal for over a year now, mainly for eBay purchases. I never put any money into it, but allow my credit card to be debited when a purchse is made.

Never had a problem with it myself, someone else may have had bad experiences, but then that's true with most things in life. 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Phishing is rife everywhere, not just PayPal. All you have to remember is not to open (or even preview) any emails that you find suspicious.

I immediately delete anything that I am suspiscious of, including all the ones supposedly from eBay or PayPal.

If you are not convinced of the security, you might want to look at PPPay or NoChex. Both of them are quite good and safe.

The most important thing to consider is not whether PayPal is safe or not (it is quite safe anyway) but whether your machine has been compromised without your knowledge (which is the vast majority of cases in most fraud instances)

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Thanks, Stoney, Oggler.

So this would be the real paypal site over here, right. Not some phoney, spoofing place ?

https://www.paypal.com/

5. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

The best way to find out is to put in http://
    If it changes to https:// (note the 's') then you should feel pretty safe, but another way is to hold your mouse (hover the cursor) over he links that appear and check the links at the bottom of the screen and if they are to the sam domain, then you know you are in PayPal.

Anyway, if you yourself type in the URL, and as long as your machine has not been compromised to redirect you to another site, you should be OK.

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've used paypal for CF premium members since the scheme began and I've also used it for ebay and have not had one problem with the service to date

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You can also check who dished out the certificate for that site. I checked and it's issued by VeriSign who are a trusted certificate authority.

If it's a home made certificate waiting for authority then I would be careful about using the site.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

9. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

And I can use this to transact business worldwide, yeah ?

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sure you can. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Their guarantee stinks though. They say they cover you for upto £500, but what they don't say is they will only refund you if tehre is money in the fraudsters PayPal account. They will not pay you if the guy takes your money and runs with no item.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

:biggrin: Sorry. I just cant believe the complaints on that site. They have the right to close your account? of course they do, just like certforums can close your account without notice. And you have to wait 180 days for your money? there are plenty of places that do stuff like that, not just PayPal. At the end of the day, the ability to use paypal is a priviledge they extend to you.

And that they dont release their phone number and require tech support to be submitted via their online forms? so what? when did it become a crime for a company to insist on tech support calls via a specific route?

The last one in the main page list is a classic too. 'OMG they charge you for transactions? of course they bloody do! They are a business. you dont make money but not charging!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Cheers everyone.

[​IMG]

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have used PayPal for 6 1/2 years both receiving and sending money and have not had a problem with them yet.

Not very accurate. If there is no money in the sellers account, PayPal will investigate, and if the seller is at fault, PayPal will refund your money, less something like $25. It happened to me, so I can tell you first hand. Someone stiffed me (and about 100 other people) for a processor, and between PayPal and eBay (now the same entity), I received the entire amount back. Took 9 months, which sucked, but I wasn't in dire straits over not having that $180 for a little while.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've used paypal for years without a problem, I pay for my hosting accounts through paypal.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

And me, used PayPal for over 5 years now on a regular basis, no problems at all.

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  17. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Well, I have used PayPal for over 4 years now and I can forward their email about refunding me when there is money in the seller's account. I got about 35p which was all that was in the seller's account.

The person is back trading now without using PayPal.

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I got caught out once by a very convincing emial confirming a purchase that I hadn't made from ebay.
    There was a link at the bottom to 'dispute this payment'.
    When I clicked it, it took me to a very convincing paypal login screen.

I know what to look for - and it still got me. I've seen loads of this sort of thing and usually they are rubbish, with fuzzy logos and spelling errors. But this was spot on.

When I logged in I was asked to confirm all my personal details, and it was only then that I thought 'hang on a sec...'

So I logged into the 'real' paypal and changed my password and, touch wood, haven't suffered for it...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  19. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I know one thing for certain with things like eBay and PayPal, if you get an email from them and their opening gambit is something like 'Dear eBay Customer' or anything like that, then you can pretty much guranatee it's phoney.

eBay and PayPal will always use your logon name when sending stuff to you (still doesn't give 100% security but it is far more secure than 'Dear Sir/Madam')

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You also have to file a claim with them, a step over and above just disputing a transaction. I'll try to dig up a link in a bit.

EDIT: It looks like they've changed their process. My transaction happened in the days before PayPal Buyer Protection, which costs extra. I didn't have to pay anything extra for eBay and PayPal to refund my money. Now it looks like it costs extra to get that level of insurance.

Here's the differences between the Buyer Complaint Process and PayPal Buyer Protection: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!