Pay rise

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Dec 17, 2016.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

How soon is too soon to ask for a pay rise?

Or should i go with the 'I have been offered another job which is going to pay x amount'. Obviously this will be a genuine job offer.

zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That's going to depend on how long you have been in the role and how much your role has changed.

I have been in my new role for just over 3 months, in that time my title and responsibilities have changed a lot (I have gone from a senior engineer to senior manager in charge of a multinational team of 12 people) but I haven't been offered any kind of different package.

I have been advised to speak to them again in April which is when they do the 6 month pay reviews.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zxspectrum

Well I am no way as experienced and skilled as yourself but I was thrown in at the deep end with nothing set in place, like a formal handover etc.

I work my backside off where as the other lad does the bare minimum which is what is driving this asking for a rise.

I think I will re evaluate what I do and check it with whats in my contract then take it from there.

Zx

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

How long have you been there? Have you had any objectives or quarterly reviews? Talked to your line manager about the extra work you're doing \ expected of you?

If you haven't and you land this on them out of the blue they may get funny.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think a lot of companies now will give you the job and see how you get on before looking to review your salary, I know this happens in my place. Your next appraisal/review is where I'd bring this up and ask if there is any money in the pot for a raise unless you're doing something pretty special like covering another role in addition to your own. As part of your appraisal you should build your evidence for where you're going above and beyond. We ask for feedback from people we deal with in our place too which helps (if you're any good).

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I'd say before first appraisal/review is too soon, unless you are doing a lot more than what's expected of you (jk put it very well). If you managed to save the company money, automated stuff, fixed critical stuff no one else could etc. Things like this should give your request some weight.

I remember talking to my manager what should i do to earn more, and basically you need to prove you are exceeding what you are expected to do in your role. Otherwise you are just doing what you were employed for, with the salary you agreed to work for!

7. zxspectrum

I appreciate the feedback guys.

I think its because I am doing the lions share of the work which is why I am asking the question. I work in a team of 'two' but the majority of the time, its me doing all the work. I am getting the recognition as in people know I am the one they need to see if they want something done but to be on the same pay with the boss knowing the other persons work ethic/skillset is some what demoralising.

I have a sneaky reason this bloke will leave soon but if he doesn't then I dont want to be in a place that rewards laziness. I know you will always get lazy people but this is beyond a joke, I have never met anyone this bad before.

This is the reason for the question.

I think I will hang on until a new opportunity comes along then weigh up my options

Zx

JK2447 likes this.
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good work mate, it won't feel like it but this is a good learning experience for you as you get those people at every level I've worked at up to now. I've been frustrated the same as you but I always try to switch it and think, thanks guys, you make me look like a super star when Im just working hard. You may even come to value having people like that around you as they make it easy for you to stand out from the crowd and you can go home knowing you're a hard worker, and everyone loves hard workers. I never concern myself with others careers, its theirs to waste although admittedly I've had it where their laziness adds to my pressure, so I totally know where you're coming from. The best part for me is when in an ideal situation, your hard work is rewarded and your salary starts to pull ahead of theirs. I've had it where over a few years I've ended up on five grand more than a team mate with the same job as me. Chin up bro you're doing great

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. zxspectrum

Well hes only gone and handed his notice in today.............

Is the way I am feeling at the mo.

So think I will pencil in a chat with the boss about this rise I want ha ha

Zx