Path to MCSE

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by wkdtime, May 4, 2010.

1. wkdtime

wkdtime New Member

Hi guys,

Just a little background info, I have been working mostly in desktop support in a server 2003 environment for the past 5 years ranging from 1st to 3rd line desktop support.

I have built my own 2003 DC and Exchange 2003 at home around a virtual environment (ESXi 3.5).

I would now like to work towards to MCSE but im a little confused on how to go about this, sure there's a million and one companies out there that do training etc but I need to do this online as im working at the moment. The problem I have is that I cant see a clear path to MCTIP Enterprise Admin 2008.

I have a few questions which im hoping can be answered here.

1. Do i need to first complete MCSE 2003 and then upgrade to MCTIP Enterprise Admin 2008
    2. Is there a link somewhere to what exams I will need to take to complete my MCSE

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks - Wkd

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Ok, lets start at the beginning, you say you've been doing desktop support so just a quick note on relevant experience:

If you've not been working directly with Server 2003 for at least a year the MCSE isn't the right choice for you, your better off grabbing the A+, N+ and MCDST to start with.

Putting that to one side, the Server 2008 qualifications are the MCITP. There is an upgrade route from MCSE to MCITP. Both can be studied in the comfort of your own home with the purchase of a few books and some (reputable) practice exams, you can then book the exams directly at your nearest prometric test center.

EDIT: and details of the necessary exams for the MCSE are available here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

Last edited: May 4, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. wkdtime

wkdtime New Member

Thanks mate,

Id say im in a position to kickoff my MCSE or MCITP 2008 Enterrise Admin

I have one more questions, well more so of some advice needed really. In the position I am in now, would it be better to complete MCSE 2003 and then upgrade to MCITP 2008, or should I go for MCITP 2008?

Thanks

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I always think you should certify in the technology you work with as a priority, so I'd say plow into the MCSE and then upgrade. Apart from anything else, if you do it that way round you've got 2 things to list on your CV instead of one and the MCSE has much wider recognition than the MCITP (from those who aren't tech savvy i.e. a lot of recruiters).

I'd still say take a look at the MCDST to start with though, you can then use the MCDST as a stepping stone to MCSA and then again step up to MCSE. Plenty of advantages to have the full cert collection!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

*If* you have indeed been doing server administration in a multi-site, multi-server domain environment for over a year, I'd recommend that you pursue the MCSE on 2003. One, the MCSE is still well known by employers; the MCITP, not as much. Two, most companies predominantly use Server 2003. Three, the MCSE won't be around forever, and you've got plenty of time to get the MCITP 2008 later. And four... if for no other reason, it'll make you look like you've "been around the block" longer.

That said, if you don't yet have the A+, Network+, and MCDST, I'd recommend getting those first. The MCSE is an awfully big first step to take.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!