Password Storing Software - Do you trust them?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stuzzle, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

I was recently reading through Personal Computer Weekly and noticed a piece in there about a bit of software on their DVD for storing (and encrypting) all your passwords (the name temporarily escapes me)

I used to think both A) It's for the lazy minded to store their passwords rather than remember them and B) Someone only needs to get a look into that file and they know ALL my passwords. But as I get older and as I recently took to varying my passwords across different uses, I find I seem to have more passwords by the month, and now I'm wondering if I should just use 1 of these pieces of software. And at the end of the day what are the chances of somebody especially hunting down MY passwords and having the ability to break the encryption on whatever these programs create

Does anyone else use any of these password logger programs? What's everyone's opinions of them?

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Like it goes "if someone made it, someone else can unmake it". So I stick to creating one unique password which i store in my head then change the password at intervals. This prevents me from having more than one and does not require me storing them in any media.

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep

Password Safe is what I use. Free, well-supported and never had a problem with it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope, but then again, I don't need one.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Keypass Passwordsafe gets another vote for me, Its a great little app which can make completely random passwords for sites too, and the list of passwords are held in a protected file that requires a master password to be entered before access.

Also there is a portable version so you can take it on your keyring and never be without it.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing