Password Policy

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i think i have created my DC and an AD on Server 2k3.
    I am trying to create a new user and i typed in

password

for the password for the user, however, the computer is telling me that it does not meet the password policy requirements... Fair enough if i knew the requirements, i would change it, but where am i to find the requirements?? Anybody know???

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its in the default domain policy. Go into admin tools and there should be a default admin policy mmc, you can edit it there. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mr.Cheeks

i saw that and it still dont work...

pass history - 24 rem
    pas max age - 42 days
    pas min age - 1 day
    pas min lenght - 3

and the username is

adminuser

and the password is

password1

where have i gone wrong for it not to enable this
    ?

4. Sparky

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You've probably still got the 'password must meet complexity requirements' GPO set - this will mean at least one non-alphanumeric character, at least one upper case letter and at least one other character must be used

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Mr.Cheeks

think it was the complexity option and the fact that i was not waiting for it to store into the registry....

ummm, whats OU? in OU GPO?

7. Mr.Cheeks

Server 2003

In Active Directory users and computers, i created

user:

Admin1

added the computer

win2kvmc

I then went into 2K machine, and under Network Identification Wizard, i typed in the user name, the computer name and also the domain (domain.test.vmc), and get the error message saying...

Was this caused by the fact the when i was originally trying to create a DC it could not find domain.test.vmc, it looked like it was looking for it on the net and was showing some message about DNS aswell....

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Instead of typing in domain.test.vmc try it with only domain.

I have seen times in the past when windows DNS does not like the full path when trying to add computers, however this was with windows 2000, I don't know if it was resolved with 2003.

8)

EDIT:Is the user Admin1 also a member of the domain admins group?

9. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

OU stands for organizational unit, ppl usually make organizational unit in a doman and then add users to it, it makes configuring and managing users withing this unit much easier as u would have to apply settings to the organizational unit and each member within that OU will have that setting

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  10. Mr.Cheeks

I named the domain domain.test.vmc, i tried changing the Win2k machine to connect to domain and domain.test.vmc, and still doesn't work...

and yep, Admin1 is an Adminifrustrator

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

from the win2k machine can you ping the DC?

have you set up DNS and DHCP, these are required for AD to function.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Nelix, im sure i have done that, but will double check soon...

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Erm <cough> DNS is a requirement but DHCP is *optional*, AD can live without DHCP though it is recommended for clients not servers.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bear in mind that since windows 2000 local name resolution relies heavily on local DNS. Hence when you promote (DCPROMO) a server to a domain controller you *must* have a local DNS server running or the wizard will create one that has the necessary records which point to the new domain controller. These are special DNS entries known as SRV records.

So, your clients need to be able to know which IP address on your network belongs to a domain controller that they can communicate with. Your clients need to have your local DNS server set as their primary DNS server in their TCP/IP properties.

This will enable them to find the domain controller but will break their ability to resolve external Internet domain names. So, you are probably thinking hmmm but how do I get my clients to be able to resolve external DNS names like www.google.com from my own humble DNS server.. Well one way is to set up forwarders in your DNS server properties. Then when your clients ask your DNS server to resolve a name which is not local, it will pass the query onto the forwarders (typically your ISP DNS servers) and they will do the work and return the query back to your DNS server which will then inform the client.

15. Mr.Cheeks

DNS was not enabled nor was DHCP... am doing it now, so any problems, you'll soon hear about them...

btw: cheers for the help chaps

16. Mr.Cheeks

I cant do it :x

its asking for dnsprov.mof

i download the zip file from MS and in the instructions is says

but i have not folder called wbem

btw: What OS do you guys use for doing something like this..

17. Sparky

Cheek,

once you have made the DNS changes try and ping the server from the client PC by name. If that doesnt work then try pinging it by I.P address.

If you cant ping by name but I.P works ok then it looks like DNS is the issue. Either set up a static DNS entry on your client to point at your server or configure a DHCP scope with suitable DNS and gateway I.Ps 8)

18. Sparky

Have you added DNS and Active Directory as roles for the server? :blink

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

TCM are you sure that you haven't got a dns server running on your domain controller? As I said before, the DCPROMO process will install and configure DNS for you. Check to see if there is a DNS utility in Start > Administration Tools > DNS

20. Sparky

have you tried creating the folder? The last point is done in the run box 8)