Password Discovery Tools

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by hkymre, Apr 21, 2006.

1. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Set up a new Pc for my Dad over the weeked.
    After a fair few problems copying the files from his old Pc to new using the XP file & transfer settings the time came to connect to the net.

Problem was the password for Virgin net hadn't been copied across. Asked my Dad if he knew and he reckoned I set it up!

Luckily Google is our friend. Got on my PC searched around and ended up here - http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html

Quick download & password was revealed.

The tools on the site are free and reveal email passwords, msn and loads of others.

The thing to consider is - Is this a good thing? Saved my bacon but in the wrong hands.....

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You could start a long argument on this! :biggrin For a long time Windows apps have had poor password security.

But what if it had been difficult to break? Well here you would have asked Virgin for a password reset or whatever, but in other cases it might be difficult!

The problem is people, as usual. Many will go to great lengths to avoid having to use a password!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  4. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

..........although it looks like Symantec have buried the product since the takeover citing Homeland Security legislation

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA