Passed!! :)

Discussion in 'Network+' started by jvanassen, Mar 12, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Finally got round to taking my Network+ exam this morning after 4 months of study in the evenings, after work and weekends. I rescheduled it a number of times aswell because i didn't feel i was ready for it but finally took it this morning after a whole weekend of non stop studying and i passed with 775/900.

Extremely happy and actually found it quite easy. I started off my study by going through professor messer videos, then i read Mike Meyers Network+ guide, followed by a couple of CBT nugget videos and my whole house was scattered with post it notes lol

Just debating what to move onto next.....a friend of mine suggested MCSE. Any suggestions?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congratulations:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Congrats :).

What you do next depends on what are doing at the moment work wise and where you want to go? Stay with network and go CCENT / CCNA or go Microsoft certs. They are the common routes or you could go a different route entirely and look at Linux or something.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. jvanassen

Work wise at the moment I am still looking for an entry level IT job as for the last 8 years ive been working in customer service/sales assistant jobs, but for 3 different companys within that time.

So in terms of customer service experience i would say im right up there and then to get some experience on my CV i have since the start of year been advertising private mobile computer repair in which it has gone really well. I have a website set up and a facebook page with a good following of over 55 people. I have done around 15 jobs since the start of the year and everyone has been happy with the work ive done which has been from health checks/clean ups to re-installs and hard drive failures.

I didnt think id say this when i started the Network+ but im quite tempted to go down the networking route, although i would like to also get some sort of Microsoft repair technician cert as i think that will look good on my website.

I will have to have a good look around this week at the different certs on offer.

Thanks for your advice so far, any more would be very welcome :)

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass :lol:

After passing my N+ I started on to the MCTS 70-680 because it suited work. It's certainly a step up in difficulty from the CompTIA exams, but usefull stuff

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  8. jvanassen

As much as i am tempted to go into another network cert like CCNA i think going by my current situation which i explained above i just need to do another cert that is going to push towards me getting that very first IT job which i guess really is only going to be a helpdesk role due to my lack of experience.

Can anyone recommend what cert i should move onto based on the fact that i need to get myself an initial helpdesk job to get some more experience.

9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I'd recommend a client based OS certification.

Personally, that's Windows 7 (exam 70-680), however you can take the windows XP client if you'd prefer.

If you get the Windows 7 exam, you'll become MCTS and that is required for an MCITP whether you go for the Desktop Technician or Server Administrator in the future 8)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGM0FlQXyB8/TDWaZoLiNeI/AAAAAAAAAE4/raekoTXkGsI/s1600/ICT.png

The above link shows the newer MS certification routes. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  10. jvanassen

Yea after I posted last night I started looking into it and thought that would be the way to go. Can anyone recommend a good book for the 70-680? I'm seeing alot of mixed reviews on amazon on all the books I look at.

Thanks

11. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Go for the MS-PRess book, its the offical book and just follow the errata on their site.

I always use a second source, Don Poulson's been recommended on here several times.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  12. jvanassen

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!