Passed N+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by coryate, Dec 2, 2006.

1. coryate

coryate New Member

Well after all the hassle of actually getting the exam booked, I passed, 805.

So lets start from the beginning.

About 7 weeks ago I was told the exam would cost £82, and when I got there, I was told £180, so I said no way I'm paying that much, and then went off home.

Posting here I found out about getting a voucher form the US, so I booked the exam again, and then a few emails back and forth with the lady who runs them at the local colledge.

So we set the date for Saturday a week ago, friday she emails me to tell me the network is going down for maintenance, and she's really sorry.

I replied that's ok, and Saturday ( today ) will be fine. I also mentioned that I have placed a curse on her network manager, to make all the NICs jabber and his Unix machine will turn into Apple Lisas.

She replys to wish me a good week-end. Probably thinking that Apple Lisa networks are a GOOD THING.

So I turned up today and passed.

As for the questions:- I got one Mac question, no netware questions.

It covered stuff like what service is on port 80
    A firewall has been installed, and the web does not work, what port needs to be opened?

What order to you check connectivity?

Here is a screen dump of a TCP/IP command, what one is it?

One question on fibre.

One question that had some wrong spelling.

One question that appeared twice, with slightly differenent wording.

Two questions that were a bit vague.

So in general, I noticed that out of the four multiple choice answers, two would be quite wrong.

Hope this helps someone, and plkease note I have not entered any of the actually questions, but ones that will give you an idea what you will be asked.

Certifications: 2003 MCP XP MCP L+ S+ N+
    WIP: CCNA A+ MCSE
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Sounds you had more trouble booking the exam than you did passing it!:D Congratulations.:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Well done!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  4. techtr0n1c

techtr0n1c Bit Poster

congrats:D

Certifications: HNC Computer Networking, Network+
    WIP: A+, 70-290, 70-270,CCNA
  5. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Great news, well done!

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats, I remember the duplicate questions in the N+ exam, I thought 'wtf' when I was doing the exam but passed it so didnt argue the point :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Careful, now... that post reveals exam content. Wouldn't want your certification revoked, or for CF to get in trouble, would you?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I thought coryate 'fuzzed' the actual questions quite well myself. Are you *sure* they are still possible violations?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Generally NDAs can say your not supposed to reveal the content of the exam, this is unlikley to be percieved as actual content due to it infact, not being :)

however some NDAs are more strict than others
    I believe our policy is not to allow direct question postings from exams, ill debate it with some of the guys

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats mate, nice one :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. BosonMichael

Only CompTIA is sure, because it's their opinion that matters. And since I don't work for them, I can't say.

Personally, I won't risk my certifications by revealing exam information. But that's just me. If he has no problem with it, and CF has no problem with it, then carry on! :)

EDIT: After reviewing CompTIA's Candidate Agreement, it seems that they're rather liberal about what is a violation (unlike Cisco's agreement, which states that you can't even reveal the number of questions you got on the exam). Here's the relevant text:

I don't see anything on there about revealing what type of questions you see on the exam... so... do so at your own discretion.

Personally, this question isn't fuzzed enough for my taste... but again, do with it what you will...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Congrats mate :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  13. coryate

coryate New Member

Put it this way, if you are an author of a book on N+, or any certification, how can you avoid quoting questions that are "like" the ones on the exam?

Or the end of chapter quiz tests?

I think there is a measure of difference in advising there will be question like ports/firewalls/services and saying:-

I was asked how to fix Z, when port X is used by service Y and BTW the answer is AA.

Thanks for the cheery replies :-)

Certifications: 2003 MCP XP MCP L+ S+ N+
    WIP: CCNA A+ MCSE
  14. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations Mate

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  15. BosonMichael

We've got a thread talking about that very thing here.

I do too... but your post specifically speaks of opening port 80 for the Web service. I'd have had no problems with you speaking in generalities, such as, "Know what ports are used for what services."

Hey, no big deal - just trying to help (for the reasons above, as well as those mentioned in the aforementioned linked thread).

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Firstly, well done on the pass :)

Secondly, to state CF's position on this - if a post gets flagged up to staff regarding what may be posting of copyright content / breach of NDA, we will generally pull the content while discussion takes place, and also PM the poster to advise as such. Our policy is that we allow paraphrased posting of the concepts of an exam topic, as opposed to straight off repeating the question. Clearly, this will have it's grey areas, but such is the nature of running a forum with volunteer Staff and no dedicated legal team.

We at CertForums do our best to always stay on the right side of what's right, and have historically always been proactive when approached by concerned parties with regards to potentially copyright material appearing on our Boards. I cannot say that we are 100% right all the time, but I think we will always be seen to be doing our best.

As Ryan also mentioned, we are always open to discuss the finer points of what is allowed, what is free speech, what should be filtered, and in general, we will always champion free speech and resist censorship of content.

Hope this helps clarify our stance on things :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity