Passed my first A+ exam :)

Discussion in 'A+' started by Lozler, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I managed to pass the first A+ 701 exam with a score of 764/900. Not the best but really happy! I'm booking the 2nd one 702 next week as I wasn't that confident with that one.

Feedback - Pretty straight forward BUT a lot of ambigious questions, like you could eliminate it to two options but then it was hard to choose the right option for the question. The majority of questions were on networking it seemed, wasn't that many scenario questions.

Methods Used - Testout labsim A+(80%), Mike Meyers A+ all in one(20%)

Vouchers - I paid around £130 to book this single exam, the bloke didn't know about any current vouchers. Do any of you guys know any valid vouchers for comptia perason vue?

Certificate - the bloke there didn't know about certificates either, but I read on the paper he gave me that you can request a certificate on comptias website. Does anyone know if that includes the wallet sized card version too?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

The questions are offen like that, two realistic answers, two silly ones

Comptia send you an A5 size certificate and a 'credit card' one (only after passing both exams mind). It refers to the website for sending off for duplicates

Unsure on vouchers though, not used them for comptia certs

Cheers

James

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  3. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

Congrats on passing! :D

Voucher-wise - I've seen people on here recommend either gracetech or getcertify4less

Based off their recommendations, I myself have recently used gracetech to get 2 vouchers for my A+. Cost me £210 for both (£105 each)

Steve, from this thread has mentioned that the certifcate is bundled with the wallet sized version. I have yet to receive my certifcate (passed last Thursday.) I had to wait a day or two after passing to be able to logon (or even register for that matter) on the CompTIA cert website (whatever the link was on the paper you get after passing) After confirming a few details, they should start processing your paper certificate and you should receive it within 8 weeks (although i've read usually a lot quicker than that)

((I've just dug out the paper that's printed out when you pass. It says you need to pass both exams to be able to request your certificate))

Good luck for the next one! :git

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  4. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Cheers for that!

I've found this which might be good:

CompTIA A+ Practical Application: Exam Voucher Bundle - gtslearning store

Okay maybe not, the price is more than £130 haha.

This seems good though:
    http://www.gracetechsolutions.com/c...rnational_a_practical_application_voucher.asp

Do they actually send you a voucher or do you just get given a code? Oh i've just seen they give you a code via email, cool!

Cheers Fliquid!

Might cram everything in today and take the test tomorrow morning, quite motivated now lol.

Any tips for the practical application part? It seems a lot harder, i'm really not very good at memorising numbers e.g. the pins / voltages.

5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

You got the pass mate and that's what counts really. Your scores aren't printed onto the cert or wallet card. I know what you mean about the questions, I had a few and thought hmm you could do 2 of those options, I just picked the one that i'd do first and hoped that's the way they wanted it answered. I found the 2nd test easier as it was more hardware based and as i've been pulling pc's apart at work for a couple of years (before studying the course) it made life a little easier. IF you have a PC you can do that with then i'd go for it as using a simulation isn't quite the same has having to get into tight gaps and see with poor lighting etc. But keep up the good work and i'm sure you'll be fine with the next test. :-)

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  6. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Haha cheers Steve. Haven't really had much hands on experience with PC's, only built a few with my friends and that's about it. I've got my test booked for tuesday after work so will let you guys know how it went.

I found that the A+ 701 was aimed a lot at networking and the troubleshooting theory, not much else. I presume that this 702 is gonna focus on: Troubleshooting printers / video a lot.

What were things that came up in your 702 that I should watch out for? I assume there's a lot of stuff about printers / video / networking utlities (ping tracert, net etc).

Loz

Edit : Btw Steve i'm working near your ends lol, working as an aircraft dispatcher in london city airport. Majority of people there are from essex!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  7. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Yeah that's not too far from me, i live in collier row which is about 15 miles away from me. Gagging to get a job in IT at the moment but need at least 19k to pay my mortgage so finding it a little hard at the moment. Are there any jobs at your gaff lol

8. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

well done.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  9. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Hi guys, just a quick update. Sat my 220-702 today.

220-701 = 764/900
    220-702 = 893/900

Methods Used - Testout labsim, mike meyers book

Vouchers - Gracetech are amazing, got my vouchers from there :)

Feedback - Found it a lot easier than the A+ for some reason. Although I had a '220-701' is gonna be easy and a '220-702' is gonna be so hard attitude, so I deferred booking the 702 until today and revised a lot more for it. In my opinion the 702 was easier, as I predicted there was a lot of printer / video stuff on there which i made sure to revise.

Going for my network+ at the end of the month with Testout labsim and mike meyers book, glad to be certified and thanks for everyones support :)

PS - haha steve the IT department in london city airport is called SITA / ESP and they will be advertising a helpdesk position soon, I don't know the website cos there's so many ESP crap that comes up on the net, but HR located in reading.

10. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Congrats mate! VERY nice score!

On to the N+ then! I know every ones says it but the All In One Mike Meyers book i found an excellent resource.

Oh, and welcome to the cert club ;-)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Well Done! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  12. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

well done, good luck on the n+ course.
    cheers for the heads up about the job soon, i'll have a search for it later when i'm not at work :-s

13. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

My comptia ID just got updated with my certificate, but i only see the PDF version. How do i request a paper cert again?! :S

14. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

all the instructions are on the sheets you get when you pass the test. i think you have to comptia.org or something and sign up / login then request it in the course history section. it takes up to 8 weeks to come from america but mine got to me in a month