Passed my A+ today - tips/observations

Discussion in 'A+' started by vp, Sep 24, 2010.

1. vp

vp Bit Poster

Hey guys, so I passed both my A+ exams today. I got 842/900 on Essentials and 800/900 on Practical Applications.

I did both exams back to back, at Southgate College which was a pretty good place to take them (apart from the crazy students running around but I blocked them out, was in the zone hah). They let you take a 15 minute break if you book back to back so its do-able. But probably better to do them on different days. I did them back to back because I wanted this done and over with asap so I can focus on my job hunt, but its not something I recommend.

Tips/Observations:

- Almost all the questions are formatted so 2 of the possible 4 answers are obviously wrong. So if you dont know the answer, you can still narrow it down to a 50/50 chance by process of elimination.

- Use the whole time. Youre paying £100+ to sit these things, pass or fail can be a matter of 1 question right/wrong so make sure everything youve answered properly. Quadruple check everything. I 'marked' every question unless I was 100% sure on answering it the first time, did a second pass filling in the blanks then did a third pass to make sure I didnt make any dumb mistakes.

- I was asked essentially the same question 3 times in each exam though slightly reworded. I think they pull questions randomly from a database so theres a chance you will get the same question more than once in 1 exam.

- In regards to studying. I used the All-in-one book, and then just did as many practice questions as I could get my hands on. I didnt pay for anything besides the book. I watched some of the Professor Messer videos, but found they were too time consuming though theyre very nice if you need a recap on a weak area of yours.

- Practice questions are key for finding out where you're weakest. Also, by getting something wrong you pretty much memorize the right answers at least thats how MY brain works. There is enough free questions available online you shouldnt really need to pay for anything besides 1 or 2 textbooks.

- It took me in total about a month to study for it, 2 weeks of light study and 2 weeks of focused cram 4-6 hours a day.

- The Practical Applications is much harder than Essentials - it also has a higher pass score. The Essentials there is very little 'figuring out' to do, most of the questions its either you know it or you dont. Whereas the Practical Applications presents alot of scenarios where you have to figure out the best solution, so get a good nights sleep because you'll need your logic to be on its A-game.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, BSc CS
    WIP: MCDST
  2. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Congrats mate :cheers

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Careful... what you posted might be interpreted by CompTIA as a violation of the Non-Disclosure Agreement you signed when you took the exam. Just want to keep you safe, bro... decertification for life is a hard pill to swallow.

Congrats on the passes. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. vp

vp Bit Poster

Thanks for that, edited it out.

Certifications: A+, N+, BSc CS
    WIP: MCDST
  6. Scorpio_786

Scorpio_786 New Member

Hi vp, First of all I would like to congratulate you on passing your A+. I am looking to do it myself and wanted to know the Title/ author of the books you used whilst studying for the exams. Any tips of how to start as Im a really bad starter, self study is a good option if only your fully focused.

WIP: A+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Glad to serve. <bow> :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good Job! and congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

congrats vp! You must've been reading those questions fast to be able to "quadruple" check! :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  13. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on the pass :cheers

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  14. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

CONGRATS :clap

Thank You for a great thread, Can I recommend it be stickied. I would love to see more similar threads.

I am doing alot of practice exams at the moment and they seem to be full of irrelevant questions on things I cant find covered on any revising materials (such as questions on fire extinuishes!), but my thinking is if I can do as many practice exams I can and use them to help find areas I am weak on so I can concentrate on those.

I love the professor messor site, I have used a couple of different video tutorials as I find watching videos helps things go in alot more than reading in my case and prof messor is by far the best in my opionion and FREE!

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Fire extinguisher types were in the 601/2/3/4 series of exams. Perhaps they are not in the 701/2 series and you're doing older questions.
    Not that it matters too much. Going in to an exam knowing more than you need to is always a good idea.

In my experience there aren't a lot of legitimate practice exams out there. Use certguard.com to check if the sites you are visiting are legit or not.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  16. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270