Passed MCTS: Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by GiddyG, Mar 3, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I suppose I should call this 'Boson Rocks!', but after the news about the 'Eartquake hits Lincolnshire' last week I didn't want to worry people unnecessarily... :twisted:

As some of you are aware, I have been working through the ExSim for 70-620, plus I have read the Sybex MCTS Study Guide for the same exam; however, I wasn't able to get access to the Vista software prior to the exam. :dry

Well, I took the exam this morning... and passed with an 838. :biggrin

It has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The book was excellent... already put my review on Amazon... and the ExSim was... spot on.

Giddy

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Thanks for the positive review... on both counts! :) We certainly appreciate it! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Mikes books must be good I ordered mine the other day along with my N+ and MCDST books :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. GiddyG

I had never taken an MS exam before... so you can imagine I was as nervous as anything... :rolleyes:

I had studied hard... don't forget I took a whole week off work... read the book from cover to cover a couple of times, and then picked out the weak areas and pushed hard on those.

As regards the ExSim, I did the exams after reading the book through for the first time. I did each exam in turn, to gauge my overall level of understanding. Then I went through the Random and Custom, showing the answers, reading the explanations and using the links in the explanations (very important!) to get even more of an understanding. It was surprising how much I learnt in such a short space of time... to actually see the pieces of the jigsaw click into place before my eyes was such a fantastic feeling! :D

When it came to the real exam, it just felt like I was taking one of the ExSim exams. The style, how they were written, it just felt so... 8)

5. GiddyG

You will enjoy it mate... very well written. As is the ExSim.

I've got loads of stuff written all over my whiteboard in my office - Complete PC Backup = Business, Enterprise and Ultimate; Remote Desktop = Business, Enterprise and Ultimate; Parental Controls = Home Basic, Premium and Ultimate... and so on... I learnt so much, and the challenge of going for the exam as well made it that bit more fun...

I've got the MCDST Sybex book too, and the Groth one. Both good choices as well IMHO.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I spent £100 odd on books I ordered the Groth book for the N+ and the two MCDST MS books (think they are sybex) and MCTS vista book by Mike & chums.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Yes, I agree. Thank you very much for the kind words! We've worked very hard on both the book and the ExSim, so it's gratifying to hear that they're helpful.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. GiddyG

It's all money well spent mate... you won't be surprised to know how much having studied the CompTIA stuff will stand you in good stead for the MS exams...

11. GiddyG

Cheers prof

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. GiddyG

Thanks Wiz

14. GiddyG

Cheers mate

15. GiddyG

The book was excellent... I am sure Michael has told you I was well impressed with the chapter on IE7. I've been playing with various settings for over a week now! :biggrin

The book and the ExSim pair up really well... I know they're not designed to but they just do.

I realised one thing I do... when MS brings in updates, I used to just accept them and not really look to see what they did. Take the move from IE6 to IE7. I took it because it was there... I hadn't even bothered to look to see what extras there were in it... :rolleyes:

As an aside, I was at one of Julie's brothers yesterday afternoon, installing a new modem/router. Made sure the SSID wasn't broadcast, manually connected... and installed Windows Defender (not on the modem/router obviously! 8)). He said his machine had been running slow... he had a 'well known brand' looking after malware on his machine, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway... came up with a couple of serious issues. Sorted them out... bish bash bosh... spoke to him today, and it's running like a dream.

16. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass… :clap

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well done mate!! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. GiddyG

Thanks guys. :D

19. FuTureTiGer

FuTureTiGer Guest

THANK YOU VISTA IS THE RECOMENDED CLIENT

20. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hearty congrats mate. Well done. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291