passed Certified MySQL Associate (CMA) exam today

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by rowlando, Dec 21, 2007.

1. rowlando

rowlando Bit Poster

At my second attempt, now for the DBA part 1.
    These exams are pretty tricky, because there is no real way to test your readiness.
    No test exams, except for what is on the cd which comes with the book..... Anyway, im having about a months break before starting on anything else.

Certifications: JNCIA-FWV, LPIC 2, SCSA, CMA, 70-271
    WIP: 70-272
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I hadn't even heard of this cert before I saw your posts. Does this come from MySQL AB, or a third party? Could you post a link to it?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Looks like MySQL AB.

Main page here.

(Thank you Google <giggle> )

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. ffreeloader

I was just hoping to hear more of his thoughts. Guess I shouldn't have been so obtuse..... :rolleyes:

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

True. Me too. I use MySQL a fair bit as some of the stuff I maintain uses it.

The problem is that it is all very old, so looking at current documentation likely wouldn't help.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. ffreeloader

Actually, I just found a book designed for getting certified as a MySQL 5.0 DBA, which isn't all that old as far as MySQL versions go. Well, it's what we're using for production anyway. The book seems to be pretty well-reviewed on Amazon and it's only around $35 on Amazon so I figure I'll buy it this next month.

It looks as if I'm going to be doing much more work in design and development end of things in integrating MySQL with our Zope/Plone project.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...TF8&coliid=I17TV6CNL13ZG7&colid=2Z2R88P0JI7QH

9. rowlando

rowlando Bit Poster

thanks all.
    yes this is the book i used.. it was either that or £thousands on a course, and i do not really do courses unless my work place puts me forward for them. the book is truly excellent, but i can only imagine how tough the dba or developer exams will be (there are 2 for each certification). either way, it shouldnt be impossible as all the info is down in the book! just a case of reading, practising and understanding. this exam was harder for me then any of the others as they offered 'test exams' in a real testing environment. you wont find these with the mysql exams. i think i deserve a months break for now before deciding what to do next.

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. ffreeloader

Out of curiosity.... How much MySQL experience do you have, and did this course teach you quite a bit? Do you feel it will be valuable to you? Crazy question I know since you obviously saw enough value in it to take the exam, but once done do you feel it was really worth it? Did you learn enough to make it worthwhile? Just what are your expectations for what it will do for you income wise and overall career wise?

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! good luck with the next one.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. rowlando

rowlando Bit Poster

I did not do a course. I used the MySQL book and LinuxCBT - DBA edition and practised on my laptop (mysql 5 on suse)
    I support/administer mysql a lot at work (virtual servers all run mysql or postgresql) and i receive a lot (100s)of sql problems escalated up through the ticket system.
    I thought it would be a good idea to certify because i would learn loads more along the way, and it would save me time when it comes to answering these queries. Actually im now kinda on a roll. It took me forever to just start studying for my first cert - but now im in the groove its much easier. Im trying to certify in all areas that i use for work. Doing the mysql cert probably will not help me financially directly, but will indirectly as i will solve more queries quicker and hence improve the ratio of tickets i fix in minimum time making me much more efficient.
    I will attempt the mysql DBA certs at some point this year. They do have something like a 40% failure rate.......

I really do not do certs with the thought of a higher salary, but just so i can do my job better. The salary bit comes later when it is seen that im am better then others in my team at my job =)