Passed CCNA - what next?!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Demvaril, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Demvaril

Demvaril New Member

Hi everyone, I've passed my CCNA (933/1000), over the moon.

I'm not really sure what to tackle next though. Should i do some server admin certs like the MTA 98-365 to get a good grounding on servers before moving on? or should i dive into CCNP whilst the CCNA is fresh in my head?

My ultimate aim is to go CCDA and up that track but I think its recommended to do CCNP before embarking on the CCDA track, is this right, should i do CCNP next?

Thanks.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MTA 98-365....
  2. Sky1

Sky1 Bit Poster

933 holy smokes, good job.
    Go for the CCNP track now while you got momentum!

Certifications: A+, Network+, ATSA, ATSP, JNCIA, CCNA, MCP, MCSE
    WIP: JNCIS-SEC
  3. Demvaril

Demvaril New Member

Thanks Sky. Since i posted this I've almost finished reading through the MTA 98-365 book, so I'm gonna finish that off and do the exam. Should only take a couple more weeks of study, then I'm going onto CCNP Route :) cheers!!

4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Do you work in networking? I know alot of people study the CCNA material to get into an entry level networking role, at least I did.

If this is the case I would advise going and getting at least a years experience before going into the CCNP track. From my experience I have found it is better to have a good mix of certs and experience.

We used to have a CCNP where I work, long story short he got fired... We recon he braindumped his way into the job but didn't have any real working experience with Cisco. My manager on the other hand has no Cisco qualifications to his name, but knows BGP like a CCIP, he has just had so much exposure and cases with clients.

Never the less, massive congratulations! Its not an easy exam to pass, very well done!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. Demvaril

Demvaril New Member

Hi Braderz. I currently work for a telecoms company, installing VOIP PBX's. It does mean i get to set up Cisco switches primarily for Vlans, but don't get to do any router work as its not required. In my previous role I was IT Manager of a law firm with 4 branches, I mainly did IT support and liaised with suppliers etc.

For the CCNA I didn't brain dump, I went to college night classes for a year on the cisco network academy program, netacad - got my course certificates. I decided that was best way to do it as like you say there are a lot of braindump paper certs out there, I wanted to be able to show i did do the course and have hands on experience. I do have access to routers and switches here which i could use to set up my own lab - any idea where i could get config scenarios from??

I'm looking for a more cisco oriented role though. Do you think i should get some server side courses under my belt? VMWare? seems to be where things are going now.

Thanks for congrats :)

6. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hmmm,

Yes you have alot of networking experience, and the concepts are really more important than anything the CLI syntax can be picked up quite easily once your working with the kit. In terms of where to next, I would say get more Cisco experience possibly get on at the recruitment agencies for a more Cisco oritented job as you said.

I am in a similar position to yourself, however I'm looking to go the other way want to get more into VOIP and have just landed a new role Cisco R&S and supporting CME voice deployments.

For the future of what you want to do cert wise, go with what your interested in. In my personal opinion network engineers are in higher demand than server admins. I have a few MCP certs and never really use them as a network engineer. Yes its important to know enough to get by, but its not my job to know the AD deployment inside out. I leave that to the server admin guys :)

Go for the CCNP Route exam!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  7. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

From what you say your company does, a natural progeession seems to be the CCNA Voice - I'm prepping for it now!

Might get you promoted?!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  8. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

I do not recommend the CCDA until you've got a wide experience of Cisco techs. The design track is extremely wide ranging subject area covering voice, wireless and security and on top of that it's exceedingly boring. I've also seen recommendations (I forget where sorry) that CCNP level routing and switching is required. I had a punt after my CCNA and failed spectacularly it has been re-designed since but the broadness remains.

I suggest, if your working experience supports it, go to CCNP R&S then look to broaden.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??