Passed A+ - Reviewed...

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dullage, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Passed my A+ today :D and thought I'd share my experiences...

Training material used:

- Mike Meyers AIO (6th Edition) I loved this book. I hadn't 'book studied' since I'd left school but this book was fantastic and made the jump into self study painless.
    This was my main study guide but I did also have:
    - PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+
    - A+ Certification Exam Cram
    - The Internet/CF

I have to say I didn't read the other 2 books as the Mike Meyers AIO was so great.

Studying:

I spent about 4-5 weeks studying this book a couple of hours a day and exploring what I had learnt on my PCs. I had a reasonable amount of experience working with computer Hardware/OS before I started studying so 4-5 weeks may not be enough time for some people (This also obviously also depends on how much time you spend revising each day)

Before I started reading the book I marked each chapter with a post-it index marker so I could 'at a glance' see how I had progressed. I tried to read at least 1 chapter per sitting and recorded my 'End of chapter Review Questions' results so I could see what areas I need to revisit.

The Test:

Heres a few notes I made about the test on another post...

Further to "this thread" I'd like to thank CF and its members for helping me plan my learning path and providing an excellent source of knowledge. :biggrin

N+ Book has now arrived, it begins again :ohmy

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

:thumbleft Congrats on the pass dude, sounds like you went in prepped up and raring to go and it payed off a treat. Good advice also.

WIP: A+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done on the pass :)

And good info given about exam prep. Rep given

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass and becoming A+ certified. 8)

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Great review and thanks for giving something back to CF! - Rep left! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. burla++

burla++ Bit Poster

thanks so much Dullage for the information , I found it really helpful and I wouldn't have gotten it anywhere else except CF....Please do you know where I can buy the book Mike Meyers All in One (6th Edition) in soft copy???? i.e (downloadable PDF format) .......I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me on that....thanks!

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It isn't available in soft copy as far as I'm aware of and the only PDF copies you are going to get is when you buy the book, they are contained on the CD that comes with it.

Please don't ask anyone for the PDFs as it infringes copyright.

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass :thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  13. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations!

14. burla++

burla++ Bit Poster

@Wizard
    Well does it also infringes copyright if it was purchased Online by means of Credit card directly from their website???? I mean , I bought the study guide I am using right now online and i was given a link for the download after making the purchase...I think it should be as simple as that so that even people outside the U.K can have easy access to it...I will appreciate any further information anyone can help with.....

15. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I've just realised that I didn't congratulate you!

Well done! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Have you got a link to the site you purchased it from?

In your original post you didn't even say that you had purchased a copy, all you asked is if you could obtain PDFs and a soft copy of the book. I correctly told you that as far as I was aware there is no such version of the book and the only PDFs you were getting would be from the CD supplied with the book.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Directly from whose website?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I don't think burla++ means they have downloaded the PDF of the book, they have downloaded a study guide online so are asking why they cannot legally buy the book in PDF online (I think), to which the answer would be because its not available for sale.

WIP: A+
  19. AArcher

AArcher Nibble Poster

congrats and im half way through that very book ....Mr Mike Meyers A+ I shall take your advice!

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA 2006 A+
  20. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

good job!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few