Passed 70-297!!

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Methodman85, May 30, 2010.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

3rd Time's the charm. After failing for a second 2 weeks ago, I realized where I had gone wrong.

Passed today, and now finally after 2 years of studying I'm a MCSE :biggrin

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats dude! that's awesome! you deserve it for never giving up!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Huge congratulations on reaching the MCSE milestone! Well done!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats mate. I'm one exam away from the MCSE myself and currently running scared of 70-294 :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass and gaining the MCSE, well done:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Thanks Everyone :biggrin

Now in terms of my upgrade options. Should I take exam 70-648 or 70-649?
    I have a migration that I need to start at work, perfect time to get certified on 2008.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate, took me a few times to get that exam nailed as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Hedley

Hedley Bit Poster

Congrats :-)

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done fella!

Welcome to the MCSE club :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats! :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Well done! :)

Just out of interest where were you going wrong? if you dont mind me asking?

13. tfernandes

tfernandes New Member

Hi dear,

Can you please share with us the materials used to prepare for 70-297.

Just had one more query - Is the 70-297 harder than 70-298.
    i know both are different but just have one paper pending for MCSE 2003 so wanted to check on this.

Regards,
    Thads

14. Sparky

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  15. dhymeri

dhymeri New Member

Hi,
    Just joined this site and interested to read people's experiences with the 70-297 exam, it sounds like it can be fairly tricky, read of a few people who have failed 2 or 3 times... I am sitting this exam tomorrow morning and if I pass I will get my MCSE 2003, after which I hope to take the upgrade exams to 2008. Must be one of the last people in the world to do this exam!
    ANyway, I've been practicing with the measure up test and been scoring in the 70's or so, I always seem to run out of time which is a bit of a worry, the measure up test does 50 questions within 90 mins - not sure if this is slightly less time that you get in the actual exam.
    My strategy for tomorrow is to read the start of each case study and map out the current environment and IT admin delegation, and hopefully work out the best design for migrating to 2003. Then to read through the questions and answer any I can from the diagram I've sketched, then if there are any question I can't answer I'll refer back to the interview/technical requirement information. Hopefully I'll have enough time.

Anyway will post back tomorrow to let you know how I got on, I have a second shot for this exam but I'm hoping I won't need to use it. Will be good to get the 2003 MCSE out of the way finally! ..:eek:

16. Sparky

The biggest challenge is the time in this exam mate. Also you cant go back to review your questions after you have moved onto the next case study (from what I remember anyway).

So if you had say 5 mins left in the first case study you can’t add them to the next case study which is annoying.

The way I did it (if it helps) is to read through the case study as quickly as you can. There is a lot of BS that you don’t need for the questions (e.g “You are a network admin at blah blah company) but take note of the obvious bits that will be useful for the questions.

At the questions you will go back and forward between the case study and the questions and hopefully you will find the info you need.

Best of luck mate! :biggrin

17. dhymeri

dhymeri New Member

Hi Sparky,
    THanks for posting back, and for the advice. Actually you have cleared something up for me as I was wondering if any spare time from one case study could be transferred over to the next, at least I know now that it can't.
    Anyway I will post back tomorrow and let you know how I've got on!

18. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck for the exam :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  19. dhymeri

dhymeri New Member

Unfortunately failed this exam today, ended up with 609 so a bit short of the pass mark. I ended up getting 8 testlets, with about 20 mins per testlet and an average of 5 questions each. I did have a bad feeling before I took this exam and I must say it lived up to its reputation. There is a lot of information to take in for each testlet and I must admit half way through the exam I felt a bit like Cougar in Top Gun when my mind just went from information overload! :ohmy

Anyway, I think I need to do a couple more weeks of studying esp. on DNS and DHCP, then try again via the second shot exam and see if I can pass it on the 2nd try. It is probably the hardest of the MCSE 2003 exams I've taken so far I'd say..

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!