Passed 601/602. Preplogic Good, Exam Cram ok.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Distant_Horizon, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Distant_Horizon

Distant_Horizon Bit Poster

840 on Essentials, 870 on IT Technician. Used the following materials:

Ultimate CompTIA A+ 2006 Resource Kit - I purchased this to avoid the zillion-page Mike Myers book. Unfortunately, this also had a zillion-page book. Like the Myers book, it is a fine reference manual, but it includes too much information for quick test study. Flash cards were helpful.

Exam Cram Practice Questions book - these are close to the difficulty on the test. All the book questions are also on a CD with an exam simulator. I think I could have barely passed by using this instead of Preplogic, not sure. This was an unnecessary purchase since I ended up getting Preplogic.

The Preplogic Practice Tests were expensive, but I know they are why I scored well. There are frequent discounts on their site, for free vouchers (take 4-6 weeks or something to arrive though) or discounts on the practice test software. The material is a little more difficult, and the questions are worded more difficultly, so, if you go through the Preplogic tests until you're able to do well on them, you should be fine for the actual exam.

I also bought my exam vouchers from Preplogic and saved like $23/exam.

If I had it to do over again, I would get the Preplogic tests, and some book, I don't know what. Hope this study material review helps somebody out!
    -Cole

Certifications: A+ (IT Tech)
    WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done & good advice :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Just paid for the Preplogic practice test on your recommendation.:D

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  6. Distant_Horizon

Hope they work out well for you, Eggbert.

I forgot to mention in my first post, Thank You to the members of this forum! Without a little browsing on here, I wouldn't have gone in as well prepared as I did.

7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Do they not have a partner company in the UK? ... even better download them

How many tests did you go through?

I see you can get a pack of 3

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. Distant_Horizon

Dunno about partner in UK.

When they offer a test voucher as a freebie with a software package, then it comes with a form to fill out, sign, send in. Weird way of doing it, since you're downloading the software package, you'd think they'd just e-mail you the voucher code.

As far as I know, they're sold as a "here's all the practice exams for this test" set. The 601 set came with 3, the 602 set came with 4. I took each test twice in "learning mode", where you get to see what the correct answer is right away (and often why correct/incorrect).

One might even get away with just taking one set, as the questions on 601 & 602 didn't seem very different at all; maybe other members around here know more about that.

9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that.

well they are the same topics just more questions in difference areas and different marking percentages between the two papers.

yeah you would have thought you could enter a coupon code in the ordering system.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats Distant_Horizon :)

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass, Cole. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. pomo56

pomo56 New Member

I've been really happy with PrepLogic. I didn't really find their exams all that expensive, although I did buy during one of those sales you mentioned. Also got the video training. Now that was a little pricey but well worth it in my opinion. Must better than reading a book. I don't have the time. I didn't get the voucher you talked about. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. I'm going for my Network+ soon. Doing the new one that was just released. I'll be using PrepLogic for that one too. Wish me luck.

13. superhans

superhans New Member

$139 Phew! :eek:

I've got the test tomorrow, used just the Big Mike Meyers book.

One thing I'd have liked more of was more exam style questions. Now I'm a bit nervous.

Congratulations on the pass, I hope to be joining you tomorrow!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+, CCNA