Passed 291!

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Methodman85, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Been a long 2 and a half months... with lots of late nights at the office doing crappy RRAS labs! But it was all worth it.
    MCSA :biggrin

So what's next? I'm thinking the 293 to further solidfy some of the networking concepts covered in the 291, thoughts?

By the way this exam is no fun, there's so much thought involved in almost every question. It's no wonder the MS press book tells you to memorize subnetting instead trying to work it out with conversions. Took me 3hours and 40 minutes to complete.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

CONGRATS FELLOW! BUT WATCH OUT FOR 293(TOOK THE EXAM LAST WEEK, SCORED 809) TALKIN BOUT GETTING AWAY BY THE WHISKERS:D. THEY HAVE GOT SERIOUS LABS(5) YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH. CAN DO IT ANYWAY ,IF I CAN...

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Oh and well done Method, that is one tough exam to pass!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well done m8 ! Congrats on getting that one out of the way :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Nice one, congrats :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Awesome work fella!

Any feedback about the exam would be appreciated :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:) as I too would be braving this exam soon.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Congrats, good luck with 293, really is a new direction now, get your planning head on lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Thanks Guys :biggrin
    It was a tough one indeed, you really have to think on your toes with all the different scenarios they throw at you. Most of the questions require a combined understanding of networking, it doesn't just test specifics like subnetting, dns, dhcp, etc... you have to combine a working knowledge of all to come up with the solution.

My exam was 47 questions. It contained 1 simulation, and more security questions than I expected... I guess I got one of the rarer compilations.

But yeah the info posted about this exam in other threads like Sparky's are very accurate. Know all of your DNZ Zones (AD Int ones in particular since they are the preffered choice) and which zones to use over WAN links of varying speeds.
    DHCP... when to use super scopes, set reservations, exclusions, when and were to set up relay agents or Bootp routers.

RRAS know RIP, OSPF, NAT,and the security that goes along with "Dial in" connections... setting up Server to Server VPNs.. Client to server VPNs.. routing after the connection is made, how addressing is handled after the connection is made... bah I could go on and on.

Security know your templates... know all the network monitoring tools and when to use them. Know how to tell if an IPsec policy is assigned, configured and working properly.. know your auditing policy options.

There's so much to list... that's why they call it the beast.
    Hope that helps a little.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback Methodman, rep left!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. Nickalicious

Nickalicious Bit Poster

Congrats man!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  14. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Congrats, very happy for you!

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  15. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE