Passed 290!!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by kavanaj, Oct 8, 2008.

1. kavanaj

kavanaj Bit Poster

Hi,

Passed my 290 yesterday lunchtime!! Got 960 so VERY pleased with that! I studied using MS Press, Sybex and used Transcenders as it got nearer to the exam....

I have been working with W2K3 Server for a few years now and it really is invaluable when taking the tests, especially the Sims! :)

Starting 291 today and again using the MS Press and Sybex as I enjoyed usnig these and they were successful!

Good luck to everyone that is doing these exams and I look forward to speaking to people on the forum. Hopefully I can help someone too! :blink

James.

Certifications: MCSE NT4.0,210,215,290,291 (MCSA2K3),VCP
    WIP: (70-293)MCSE 2003
  2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :D

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  3. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Congrats :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Congrats!!! Sitting it myself on Saturday

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Nice one.

Good luck steve_f

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Congrats. And good luck to steve too! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Excellent work, well done!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congrats on the pass:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. kavanaj

kavanaj Bit Poster

Oops - double post! :oops:

11. kavanaj

kavanaj Bit Poster

Thanks guys - I'll prob be picking brains soon as I've booked 291 for 28th of Nov!! :eek:

Good luck to you too Steve and let us know how you get on! :)

12. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

Congratulations!

I am prepping to take this test next so I ask 2 questions:

1) Exactly how useful is the MS Press Book?

2) I have taken a class on Server so I have worked with it; however, the sims are what have me worried. Are the exercises in the Sybex and/or MS book good preparation?

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: Java, Linux
  13. kavanaj

kavanaj Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks! I will try and answer your questions according to my experience so far :)

In answer to your questions the MS Press books are good but sometimes they just don't have the best way of getting the information across.... (Personal opinion this is of course!!)

I found that the Sybex books are good and it doesn't hurt to read through both or at least read through the sections that you find yourself struggling with. Also good to use the MS Technical Reference site

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758478.aspx

If you don't have much experience with using the tools in Server, AD Users and Computers, etc then it would help you a lot to be able to do this. I am lucky to work with this every day and also I have a VMWare lab at home where I have set up and configured domains etc. I think I had a couple of sims in my exam (the day is a bit of a blur now! :oops:) but the exercises that you go through should cover most of them in the exam.

I also used a Transcender test exam as it has a great explanation when you grade the question and can be used to show up any weak areas you may have.

I hope that helps and of course remember that everyone has their own way of studying and learning so bear that in mind! 8)

14. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

Congrats!

Not good enough IMO. I would say do not consider taking the Server, AD or Network exams until you have setup a VM network and thoroughly experimented with everything you can be asked on in the tests.

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  15. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

I took 70-290 and passed it today! Thanks for the suggestions about practice. There were a lot of sims in my exam today but none of them were particularly all that tricky.

Thanks especially to Zimbo for the great 290 review and Oliness for the blurb about hands-on practice. I ended up using my trial version of Server 2003 from the MS Press book to do exercises. Coupled with my reading of the Sybex book and the class I took, I passed 290 handily.

Thanks again!

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: Java, Linux
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!